From: Vicky Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, December 11, 2020 at 9:12 AM
To: Matt Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Hydrogen Peroxide as disinfectant for Ranavirus?

[External Email]
Hi Dr. Gray  -
Sorry to bother you, but you may be the only person who would know this… Has anyone tested hydrogen peroxide as a disinfectant for Ranavirus?

We are considering switching to 7-10% Hydrogen Peroxide across our herp collection to be sure to eliminate Cryptosporidium risk, and I wanted to see if it covered any of the other common herp diseases we also have to prevent as best possible. Bd/Bsal have been tested and it is effective at 6% H2O2 dilution for at least 15 minutes , but I cannot find any reference for hydrogen peroxide ever being tested for Ranavirus specifically… I did find the Bryan et al, 2009 paper where you all tested common disinfectants… but no H2O2 there.

Any input would be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks much!
-Vicky

Vicky A. Poole
Assistant Curator of Ectotherms