Please do not reply to this message. Thank You. To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html

e-Newsletter | November 2020

Knoxville

Crossville

Jackson

We are aware of the current challenges related to coronavirus (COVID-19). UT is closely monitoring the situation and the Gardens will follow UT policies and changes regarding travel, classes and events. We will post updates via social media and websites in the event of any schedule changes or adaptations. For updated information, please visit https://utia.tennessee.edu/state-botanical-garden/ where you can connect to any of our three statewide sites.

November Gardening Tip

You can continue to transplant perennials throughout the fall and winter, as long as they remain dormant.

Click here to read all gardening tips....

Plant of the Month

November: Bald Cypress

Submitted by Alice Clark, volunteer coordinator and horticulturist, UT Gardens, Knoxville

Taxodium distichum, commonly known as bald cypress, is a deciduous conifer native to the southeastern United States. Pyramidal in shape, bald cypress grow to be a towering 70 feet tall with a spread that measures to 50 feet. These trees require full sun to thrive.

T. distichum loves wet sites. If you've ever seen it growing by a pond or lake, you may have noticed its knees. These projections grow out of the ground, and many early theories supposed that these growths functioned like aerial roots.  Little evidence today supports this hypothesis, but the growths make this a very interesting plant to add to your landscape.

Read more...

What's in Bloom in Your State Botanical Garden of Tennessee?

Knoxville - Cuphea Vermillionaire™ puts on a dazzling display of seasonal color in our Teaching Garden.

Crossville - Fall is my favorite time to enjoy ornamental grasses. Pictured here is maiden grass (Miscanthus sinensis) and switch grass (Panicum virgatum), some of the various grasses planted for one of Dr. Mark Windham's research trials.

Jackson - It's a beautiful time of year in the gardens. Don't miss these fall-blooming beauties! From left to right: 'Phyllis Fancy' salvia, 'Little Suzie' witchhazel, and 'Susy Dirr' camellia.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

 Retirement Reception for Dr. Sue

It was delayed a bit by the pandemic, but we were finally able to recognize Dr. Sue Hamilton for her career in the Department of Plant Sciences and as Director of the UT Gardens. Former students, Gardens volunteers, faculty colleagues, UTIA co-workers and friends all joined in thanking Sue for her dedication and vision in creating the UT Gardens and the State Botanic Gardens of Tennessee that we enjoy today.

James Newburn, interim director of the UT Gardens; Dr. Gary Bates, interim plant sciences department head; Scott Senseman, interim dean of extension and former department head; and Dr. Tim Cross, senior vice president and senior vice chancellor of UTIA, all spoke of Sue's dedication as a mentor, educator, and visionary, and the impact and legacy she has had across the state and beyond. Sue expressed appreciation for the support she was given throughout her career and the opportunity to develop in the career she loved.

Held on the Great Lawn and Friendship Pavilion on a beautiful late October afternoon, the event (complete with face masks and social distancing) was unique in that virtual hugs were the order of the day, contrary to Sue's natural inclination. Still, a great time was had catching up with old friends and colleagues and gathering together for such a happy occasion. Happy retirement, Sue, and happy travels!

 UT Gardens, Knoxville

Monarch Tagging

Volunteer Linda Fowler-Smith, with help from fellow volunteers Vickie Smith and Stephanie Lynch-Wright, tagged 53 migrating Monarch butterflies as they passed through the UT Gardens on their way to Mexico. It is important to tag Monarchs to better understand the migration patterns of these ecologically important native butterflies. According to Monarch Watch, tagging "shows that the probability of reaching Mexico is related to geographic location, size of the butterfly, and the date (particularly as this relates to the migration window for a given location)."

In addition to tagging wild butterflies, volunteer coordinator Alice Clark and volunteer Hailey Wright raised, tagged and released 21 Monarchs. Next year, we hope to have even more taggers join the fun!

UT Gardens, Crossville

Bird Treats Fundraiser

Bird Treats made by Cumberland County Master Gardeners are available for purchase. Proceeds benefit the UT Gardens, Crossville: Plateau Discovery Gardens.

  • 1 1/2 lb Premium Bird Seed Wreath - $10
  • Birdy Bark Butter Log to hang with 10 oz Bark Butter - $10
  • Extra 1 lb Birdy Bark Butter for Log or tray feedings - $5

Wreath and Log are packaged ready for gift giving! Birdseed wreath storage and shipping instructions included with each gift bag. 10x10 gift boxes are also available for $2 if you wish additional packaging for the wreaths.

Sold by Advance Order: Call 931-484-0034 or email Jennifer at [log in to unmask]

Sale runs November 2020 thru February 2021. Ordering is open now. Please provide the date you will need item(s) by when you place your order; allow up to 5-7 business days for wreaths, 2-3 days for the logs.

Orders may be picked up through Wednesday, December 16th for pre-holiday orders. Pick-ups will resume on Monday, January 4th.

UT Gardens, Jackson

West Tennessee Landscape Review

The annual West Tennessee Landscape Review is being delivered virtually this year. Green industry professionals can view the five 1-hour lecture sessions at their leisure and then take a short quiz to be awarded pesticide applicator certification points by TDA. We encourage professionals across the state to take advantage of this free online opportunity to maintain their professional certifications and licenses.

Even if you don't need to maintain a certification, you might want to check these videos out. They are available to everyone, and the information provided can be beneficial to anyone who has to manage their own lawn and landscape.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Upcoming Adult Classes

Holiday Mocktails

Thursday, November 19, 2020

5:30 - 7:30 pm

Cost: $15 Garden members/ $20 nonmembers

Brighten up your holiday season with delicious non-alcoholic libations! Join us for this fun class on botanical mocktails that can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone. Using fresh and preserved ingredients from the gardens, we will concoct three different drinks to tantalize your senses. The recipes will highlight hibiscus, ginger and sage and will include both warm and iced creations.

This class will be virtual and will be recorded for future access. Each participant will receive a shopping list ahead of time, and we will provide some of the key ingredients for pick up at the UT Gardens, Knoxville. Instructors: Holly Jones and P.J. Snodgrass

Winter Tree Identification - Class I and II

Class 1: Saturday, November 21, 2020

Class 2: Saturday, January 23, 2021

9 - 11 am

Class size limit: 15

Costs:

Both classes: $35 Garden member/ $45 nonmember

Class 1 or 2 only: $20 Garden member/ $25 nonmember

Do you love trees? Do you love them so much that you've wished you could identify them during the dead of winter? Look no further - we have a couple of classes for you! Join Alice Clark, UT Gardens Volunteer Coordinator, Horticulturist and avid tree lover as she takes you through the garden in winter. In these classes, you will learn the basic anatomy of trees and look at different ways to identify several plant species during their dormancy using their bark, fruit, buds, and other cues. You'll be surprised how much you can identify during winter!

Be sure to wear comfy walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing; these plant walks will take place entirely outside.

Holiday Wreath Making

Saturday, December 12, 2020

1 - 3 pm

Cost: $30 Garden members/ $40 nonmembers

Kick off your winter festivities by making your own gorgeous wreath using freshly harvested greenery. All levels of experience welcome. We will provide a mixture of seasonal greens and decor for your take-home wreath that will last throughout the holiday season. Participants are welcome to bring personalized decorations to add if they like.

This is our most popular class, so don't delay in registering!

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Upcoming Kids Classes

Friday Fun Day: Fall Treasure Hunt with a Twist

November 20, 2020

9-11 am

Class size limit: 15

Cost: $10 Garden members/ $15 nonmembers

Have you ever been on a treasure hunt? If you come to this Friday Fun Day you can say "Yes!" to that question! We will hunt for special things all around the garden and then use our treasures to make a fun craft. Be prepared to get messy during this Friday Fun Day in November.

This program is designed for 3, 4, and 5-year-olds, but all kids are welcome. Adults must be present with their children. This class will be held outside in the Gardens rain or shine. In the event of rain, we will use the McIlwaine Friendship Pavilion.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Hard Work Results in Tranquility

As the name implies, the Cornelia B. Holland Tranquility Garden is a wonderful space for reflection and solace. That does not mean that a lot of sweat does not go in to this emerald jewel of the UT Gardens, Knoxville. Consisting of about nine large beds; over 500 hosta cultivars; a collection of rohdeas, Japanese maples, rhododendrons, and hydrangeas; a stage; lawn area; and two fountains there is a lot to keep up with. With dedicated volunteers, supporters , and staff though, many hands do make light(er) work.

This year Fred Anderson, president of the East Tennessee Hosta Society, donated over 400 sturdy new label stakes that he designed and had manufactured himself. These durable stakes are squirrel proof and are not easily bent or frost-heaved due to their clever design. They even require a simple dedicated tool, along with a hammer, to be secured in the ground. Volunteer Roseanne Smith made labels to be affixed to the stakes to identify the different hostas. A big "Thank you" to Fred and Roseanne for the donation of the stakes and labels!

We are so excited to have these new labels in our very special hosta collection. Alex Smith, our collections staff manager, has meticulously checked our records to match each label with its proper hosta. Each label displays the scientific and cultivar names as well as the accession year and source.

The hosta garden requires constant attention, and the backbone of Tranquility's maintenance is our Adopt-A-Spot volunteers who have chosen beds in this special garden as their "spot". Mary Albrecht, Marcia Quinby, Alice Greene, Janie Bitner, Wanda Taylor, Joyce Greene, Kathy Thomas, Wendell Thomas, Maria Gall, David Gall, Carol Krauss, and Natalie McNutt all do a fantastic job in maintaining their areas. We have also had several group workdays devoted to the hosta garden, including the East Tennessee Hosta Society and several student groups.

As the garden begins its sleep for the winter, we appreciate all the hard work our volunteers and staff have dedicated to the garden and hope they and visitors alike find the Tranquility to be had there.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Friendship Pavilion Furnishings

There are new places to sit, relax, study, or have lunch in the Friendship Pavilion thanks to a generous donation from Jenny Boyd, and we could not be more pleased. Jenny often comes with a group of her friends to play bluegrass music in the Gardens. Usually they hang out in the Rose Garden gazebo but one particular day that spot was taken and the pavilion was their other option.

At the time there was no furniture in the pavilion, though there were 5-gallon buckets and sawhorses from a project the UT Gardens staff was working on. The group, in true East Tennessee style, made use of them for seating. This experience made Jenny notice the need for pavilion furniture, and she and James put their heads together. Working with the campus landscape architect to determine appropriate furniture choices, a decision was made on a style that meets the needs of the Gardens and its guests. Jenny, wife of UT system president Randy Boyd, liked the choice as well, and we moved forward with the purchase. Now you can sit back, enjoy a lovely view, and if you're lucky you may just hear some great live bluegrass music, too, thanks to Jenny's wonderful gift.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

New Bike Rack

Have you seen our new bike rack? With funds from the UT's Green Fee and help from Facility Services, we now have a bike rack installed near the Third Creek Greenway, right by Third Creek and Neyland Drive. When biking to the Gardens, we ask that you please walk with your bike or use the bike rack while enjoying the Gardens, rather than biking through.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

UT Compost Facility Field Trip

Our Gardens staff spent part of a gorgeous, sunny October afternoon touring the UT compost facility operated by the Office of Sustainability. Wayne Mason, the site manager, has a passion for sustainability and composting that are evidenced by his recent improvements to the 10-year-old site.

Much of the university's compostable materials, including food wastes and leaves (many from the UT Gardens!) come to the site. Wayne explained the protocols used to create the final product, a fine-grade compost. We could see several windrows that were at various stages of decomposition, and Wayne detailed the mixture ratios (green vs. brown), moisture, and turning requirements to efficiently create a nutrient filled compost. That compost is then available to campus entities such as the UT Gardens and UT Landscape Services. We are proud to be a part of the efforts of UT Facilities Services and the Office of Sustainability to minimize the amount of waste going to landfills by recycling and composting as much as possible. In return, we receive a beneficial environmental product that keeps your UT Gardens growing.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Garden Educator Wins Photo Contest

Whitney Welch, UT Gardens educator, has a keen eye for catching nature's creations at their most photogenic, and is always looking for shots that she can utilize in her teaching. She keeps her camera phone ready during her frequent time in the Gardens preparing for an educational program, leading a tour, or teaching a workshop and has captured some truly amazing images.

She recently entered a couple of her best insect shots in the UT Creepy Crawly Photo Contest sponsored by the Entomology and Plant Pathology Department and received 1st place in two categories. See all the winners.

UT Gardens, Crossville

Getting Ready for Winter

Cumberland County Master Gardeners Ernie Wood and Agnes Bosze helped dig and divide tender plants to over-winter in the greenhouse. We were able to get at least sixteen giant elephant ears (Colocasia gigantea 'Thailand Giant')! Many of these will be available for purchase at our spring plant sale.

UT Gardens, Crossville

Overwintering Chrysanthemums

Nothing screams fall like the addition of a chrysanthemum in your seasonal display or landscape. By now they are likely fizzling out, and you're considering what to do with them. Although seasonal mums are often more valuable as compost, many have inquired about overwintering them.

If you planted them in the ground at the appropriate time (ideally six weeks prior to the first killing frost), just mulch and leave them be. Do not cut the mums back, as the dead foliage will help protect them through the cool season months. After fear of frost in the spring, when new growth has emerged from the crown, dead foliage can be removed. Several have returned for a couple years now here on the Plateau. They are local, field-grown mums available at our fall mum sale.

For those keeping mums in pots, there's a bit more work involved. Keep them outdoors until the foliage dies from the first frost. Then store in a cool, dark place indoors. A basement or garage tends to work well, but you want it to be above freezing. The roots need to be kept damp, so check them periodically. In the spring, the mums will need to be acclimated. Gradually expose them to light and plant them outside after the last frost.

The latter approach seems a lot more complicated, which is likely why most people tend to add them to their compost. Fresh mums can always be purchased at our fall fundraiser!

Some cultural info about the chrysanthemum: it's the birth month flower for November and, depending on where you look, is sometimes associated with love, luck, happiness, loyalty, and honesty. It has many uses outside the garden, too. It can be used to make an herbal tea, used medicinally for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, and can provide a potent natural insecticide.

Is the Gardening Season "Over"?

Carol Reese Has an Answer!

I may come off as impatient when I come back at people who tell me they are sad when the "season comes to an end", because it is one of my favorite times to be out there. Here in Tennessee, late fall weather, and even many days in winter,  can be perfect for being out in a sweatshirt that can be peeled off as the body warms to the task at hand.

For me, this is often planting those bargains that can be found this time of year as retailers reduce inventory and clean out remaining stock. Sometimes these are the plants that were passed over simply for being less symmetrical, or ones that had finished this season's bloom period and no longer appealed to the impulse shopper. Often these are healthy, vigorous plants that are going to be stellar performers for 2021 onward, and they appreciate the opportunity to settle roots during winter rains long before the onset of spring growth and summer heat. Fall planting can greatly reduce the need for supplemental watering next summer.

Continue reading

Container combinations for winter beauty can include small conifers, evergreen sweet flag or sedges, and even cool season vegetables such as this purple cabbage called 'Ruby Perfection'.

UT Gardens, Knoxville

Kroger Community Rewards

Did you know that the UT Gardens, Knoxville is part of the the Kroger Community Rewards Program? It is the easiest way to raise funds for the Gardens - with NO cost to you! Simply link up your Kroger card to the UT Gardens and a portion of your purchases from Kroger will automatically be donated directly to the UT Gardens, Knoxville.

2020 Community Partners & Sponsors

Many thanks to our 2020 Community Partners for their support of the Gardens!

Our sponsors have supported the Gardens through generous donations of their products and/or services!

We also want to thank all of our members, volunteers, and visitors who support the Gardens! We couldn't do it without each of you!

Mailing Address:

UT Gardens

Room 112 Plant Biotech

2502 EJ Chapman Drive

Knoxville, TN 37996

Phone: (865) 974-7324

Fax: (865) 974-1947

Copyright © 2019 UT Gardens. All rights reserved.

Contact email: [log in to unmask]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Did your email address change? Visit http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html Remove your old email and add your new email address to continue receiving timely updates. Have you visited the Master Gardener Store? https://web.dii.utk.edu/agstore/c-49-master-gardener.aspx Check out the super comfortable Gardener's Kneeling Pads! To view the archives or join/leave TMG list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/tmg.html