Dear folks,

Many of you have already received (or will soon receive) an electronic or print copy of the Geography Department newsletter for this academic year.  It contains a number of great stories highlighting faculty, staff, alumni, students, and special initiatives and achievements.

Thanks to many of you who helped this newsletter happen—from the generating of story ideas and contributing content and pictures to contributing/managing the financial resources to fund publication.  Our annual newsletters are important ways for our program to tell its story to wider audiences, including our extended family of donors, friends, and alums.

A special thank you needs to be extend to Mr. Kurt Butefish, who has served as the chief editor of the Geography newsletter for many years.  His leadership and geo-evangelist vison has helped shepherd the newsletter to the highly effective communication device we see today.  This year’s newsletter marks Kurt’s last one before he retires from the Department. We are so grateful, Kurt.  Thank you.

Best wishes,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography & Interim Head

Department of Geography, University of Tennessee

Betty Lynn Hendrickson Professor of Social Science

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Founder & Co-Coordinator, Tourism RESET

Past President, American Association of Geographers (2017-18)

Email: [log in to unmask], Twitter: @MLKStreet