Hello All,

I wanted to remind you that we will have our third colloquium today at 4:30pm by Dr. Lisa Muller from the Department of Forestry, Wildlife, and Fisheries here at UT!

Title: Stocking source and movements of Elk in Tennessee
Abstract: Elk Island National Park (EINP), Alberta, Canada was used as a stocking source for elk (Cervus canadensis) reintroduction in parts of eastern North America including the Cumberland Mountains, Tennessee (TNCM), Great Smoky Mountains National Park, North Carolina (GSMNP), and Land Between the Lakes, western Kentucky (LBL). Additionally, LBL (with EINP elk directly or their offspring) was used as a stocking source for the programs in TNCM and GSMNP. Elk were translocated to TNCM (201) from 2000-2008 and GSMNP (52) from 2001-2002. These elk are considered to be of the Manitoban subspecies (C. canadensis manitobensis). A major highway bisects EINP into a north side (EINPN), high fenced and isolated since 1907, and a south side (EINPS) high fenced in 1947. Before translocation, elk were trapped on both sides of the highway and brought to a central handling facility and mixed together. All sites including LBL, TNCM and GSMNP received elk from both sides of EINP. We used 16 microsatellite markers and a Bayesian clustering analysis (Program STRUCTURE) to analyze genetic composition of the 2 populations and found distinct profiles for elk from EINPN and EINPS. We have been studying the reproductive success and movements of these 2 genetic groups for 20 years since translocation by sampling from hunter harvest, mortalities from elk-vehicle collision, fecal samples on the landscape and animals captured for marking and tagging. We have documented minimal admixture between EINPN and EINPS and found the groups have mostly persisted years after release. This within-cluster breeding bias occurs despite individual elk overlapping on the landscape and the possibility for long-distance explorations. We are seeing elk segregate without any discernable geographic barriers to movements.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

The Zoom quick link is:

https://tennessee.zoom.us/j/91402032124

Best,
Hannah
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Hannah Victoria Herrero, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Geography
University of Tennessee

315 Burchfiel Geography Building

1000 Phillip Fulmer Way

Knoxville, TN 37996-0925

865-974-6043 (Office)

386-451-3045 (Cell)

h<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Guest Editor Applied Sciences Special Issue:
Dynamics of the Global Savanna and Grasslands Biomes
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/applsci/special_issues/global_savanna_grassland_biomes

NOTE: This communication may contain information that is legally protected from unauthorized disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return email and delete this message from your computer.