BGB 306, 1000 Phillip Fulmer Way

From: "Armsworth, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

I wanted to let you know about an exciting event next week that likely will be of interest to many different people across the campus and our wider community. (Jane) Carter Ingram from Ernst & Young will talk about the intersection of science and business – what works, what doesn’t and how the two can work together effectively to advance sustainability. Carter brings unique perspectives and experiences to talk about these issues. Wendy Tate from Supply Chain Management and I, coming from the natural science side, will coordinate a discussion with Carter to explore these issues as part of the session. Carter’s talk will be on Friday 10/23 from 3.30-4.30. Full details below and in the attached poster. Please share with others who might be interested.

Paul Armsworth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology presents
Title:                The nexus of science and business – beyond greenwashing

Speaker:          (Jane) Carter Ingram, Ernst & Young

Discussants:     Wendy Tate, Dept. of Supply Chain Management & Paul Armsworth, Dept. Ecology & Evolutionary Biology

When:             Friday, October 23rd, 3:30-4:30

Zoom link:       https://tennessee.zoom.us/j/97317652065 ,  Password: 649665

Summary: Carter Ingram (Ernst & Young) will share her unique perspectives about the nexus of science and business and how we move beyond greenwashing. This will include exploring why we need more science to infuse business; why that doesn’t happen very often; what skills and thinking we need to work at this nexus; and what some of the big business related challenges where more scientific expertise is most needed? Wendy Tate (Supply Chain Management) and Paul Armsworth (Ecology & Evolutionary Biology) will act as interviewers and discussants.

Bio: (Jane) Carter Ingram is a Senior Manager for Climate Change and Sustainability Services at Ernst and Young where she leads natural capital measurement and management strategies to support public and private sector client needs. Before joining Ernst and Young, Carter was the director of the Ecosystem Services program at the Wildlife Conservation Society. She received her PhD from the University of Oxford and did her post-doctoral work at Columbia University. Throughout her career, Carter has worked with diverse partners to measure and value the benefits provided by nature to support decision making and to design and implement social, political and financial incentives that promote sustainable development.

Paul R. Armsworth,
Professor,
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology,
University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Armsworth Lab: http://www.armsworthlab.com<http://www.armsworthlab.com/>
UT Conservation Science Group: https://consci.utk.edu