[External Email]

Dear Friends and Good People  -

What a celebratory week it’s been for Tennessee !!

Earlier today, the Nashville Public Library was once again on the national stage, featured on CBS Sunday Morning in the story of How suffragists finally won the right to vote for women.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/19th-amendment-how-suffragists-finally-won-the-right-to-vote/

The video tells about Nashville attorneys (and truly library friends) Jeanie Nelson and Margaret Behm, who raised almost $4 million to create a Votes for Women Room at the library.
“We really want to make sure that when people leave this room, they understand that women weren't given the vote, that it was a bitter struggle,” said Behm.  “It was a battle, and it almost didn't happen.”
Margaret Behm also noted,  “When you're asking, 'What is the role of women? Who gets the vote? And those in power, what they do sometimes to keep people from voting?' All of these issues were there in 1920, and are still here today.

++++>   A MUST WATCH:

Documentary  |  By One Vote: Woman Suffrage in the South
To learn more about Tennessee's pivotal role in ratifying the #19thAmendment, granting women the right to vote, watch this Nashville Public Television documentary narrated by Rosanne Cashhttps://www.wnpt.org/citizenship-project/woman-suffrage/.

By One Vote: Woman Suffrage in the South examines the tactics and attitudes of Tennessee and Southern suffragists, exploring how the shadow of the Confederacy and values of the “Lost Cause” shaped the fight for full female enfranchisement.  Narrated by  Rosanne Cash, NPT’s original documentary chronicles the events leading up to the turbulent, nail-biting showdown of August 1920.  (Look for the Jack Daniels suite.)

And, in case you missed them  -
Our Century! Living Tennessee’s History of the Ratification, a reenactment of the historic and close vote for ratification that took place on August 18 on the floor of the House Chamber at the State Capitol – the same day and place it did a century ago.
https://www.facebook.com/tnwoman100/videos/594000564810725/?fref=mentions&__xts__[0]=68.ARDoX6s0Rnh7eqBWi4cLAlyd-56Eh8pvqQxYs0OxN_oUb3ewodTIGRBItRoHUJYN6uTNJdfocTugz_Vqy8fJtqEP42lZbZBV5g_NFQtQRTRn2KksCLJjRSZwm2zeUeaDwCg_ndAOw9AOtQdL_kmtzznlOGYIC3LxAmTtzbJXaolFkmTHnkFmPKKtqVuqNxpDNnS8xgN5efZpG9Pe9jAVlg5JBht5NVCqUSeomW0JIf8R3hwSDMuU8Ca3OWjr4Ftt77Q9JIMiPokL6EzEusp_B5WaL59m6qv0LPZGDldj_TWptGxheQD93s90cuTKzHUahGyTk8lCA7h5v4dfBg&__tn__=K-R

Along with Holding Space: Leveraging Place to Engage Community
a visit by ALA President Julius C. Jefferson, Jr. with Nashville Public Library Executive Director Kent Oliver and Andrea Blackman (Director of the Civil Rights and Votes for Women Rooms) about how these spaces bring members of the community together to learn about the past, confront the present, and envision a better future.

All with perhaps the greatest exhortation  -

Dunn County Democrats Get Out the Vote Nov. 3,4,5 & 6 – Dunn County  Democratic Party

Enjoy  -  Don

P.S.   Affirming your faith in people of kindness.
Peter Rork, a retired orthopedic surgeon in Jackson, Wyoming, has co-founded the non-profit Dog Is My CoPilot, whose mission is to fly or transport dogs from areas that have a high euthanasia rate to areas that will never put down a healthy animal.

 - - -

Donald B. Reynolds, Jr.
P.O. Box 278
Talbott, Tennessee 37877
865.475.2030
2019-2021 Past President; 2014-17, 2018-19 President, Friends of Tennessee Libraries (FOTL)
      Web Site   Facebook Page   Friends Ethical Statement   Parent Tips for Reading Aloud   Tool Kit for Building Friends Group
Retired Director, Nolichucky Regional Library, Tennessee
Founding Director/Former President, Association for Rural and Small Libraries
Rural & Small Library Directors’ Tool Kit

DISCLAIMER:
  This email is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty
and in no way are to be considered flaws.

Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
~  Robert J. Sawyer

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
~  Aesop

I believe without laughter there’s no point at all.
~ Lauren Bacall

Be Happy.  It's one way of being wise.
~ Sidone Gabrielle Colette

Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven't met yet!

Since retiring, I wake up in the morning with nothing to do -
and by bedtime it's only half done.
~ Bill Yates, small society

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things -
right now, I'm so far behind, I will never die.
~ Anonymous

May the good Lord make you smart enough to live in a small town.
~ Radio news announcer in The Runaway Bride

He who reads books knows more.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
~ Harry Truman

Take change by the hand before it takes you by the throat.
~ Sam McKinney

Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed.
~ Irene Peter