Dear Undergrad students,

Hope you all are keeping safe and healthy.

Please find attached flyers once again for Geog 340 (Economic Geography-Core Concepts) and Geog 442 (Urban Spaces-Urban Society) that I am offering via zoom this term. Please note the difference in class timings.  I hope many of you (Grads + Undergrads) will be interested in the types of topics I cover in both these classes.

Geog 442 (Grads + Undergrads) is very good for foundational theoretical knowledge, specially for those interested in understanding the theories, processes, and patterns of socio-spatial differences within USA as well as in other parts of the world -- developed and developing both. This is a very good course for those interested in pursuing future analyses/research on the political economy of differentiation. These theories and empirical work help solidify your understanding of the very process that creates spaces and opportunities pf difference.

GEOG 340: Undergrads only -- here the focus is largely on the basic theories and concepts of economic geography and their glocal (global linking the local and vice versa) nuanced differences, and the political economy.  This will help you understand the reasons for spatial disparity in economic opportunities and how/why these form, what are the stake holders involved, and the like.

Please note that this term I am teaching both these classes via zoom/synchronous this time:
Geog 340: Tuesdays and Thursdays: 1:10-2:25 pm
Geog 442: Tuesdays and Thursdays 6:10-7:25 pm.

In both these classes, besides lectures, I will be engaging in numerous online in-group class discussions, commentaries on movies/documentaries watched, writing assignments and a short presentation to get students thinking into their MS Thesis/dissertation research ideas.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Best wishes for a successful FA term!

Madhuri Sharma
Associate Professor

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville