[External Email]

Hello!

I wanted to touch base with you all about a little-known season, Summer in E-Rate Land.  This is that time of year where we have 3 funding years going simultaneously - finishing up the year that just ended, moving along with the current year, and getting ready to file for the next year.  Sound confusing?  It can be!  However, hopefully this will help with that confusion.  Let’s go through it in order:

Funding Year 2019 (FY 2019 -2020) (Form 472)

Our first stop is finishing up with Funding Year 2019 (Fiscal Year 2019/ 2020).  For those who do not receive a discounted bill for your services, your last thing to do is to file your Form 472 BEAR form in order to get your reimbursement.  You’ll need a copy of your funding commitment decision letter (FCDL), a copy of your bills for the fiscal year, and your own PIN number.

Please keep in mind that if you paid more than what you put down as your pre-discount total (it’s in your FCDL), you can only ask for the maximum that you were funded.  If you didn’t pay as much as you were funded, then you can only ask what you paid for.

This is the only form that is not in the portal.  To file, just go here - https://slweb.usac.org/bear/login.aspx

The deadline for filing Form 472 is 120 days past your service end date OR 120 days after the date of the FCC Form 486 Notification Letter. However, this year the deadline was extended (due to COVID-19) to February 25, 2021.  However, I wouldn’t recommend waiting too long.  It’s always good to go ahead and file for reimbursement, if you’re ready.  No time like the present!

Funding Year 2020 (FY 2020-2021) (Form 486)

Next is Funding Year 2020 (Fiscal Year 2020/2021).  If you have already received your FCDL for this funding year, your next step is to file Form 486, which you access in your EPC portal.  You’ll need your FCDL, and your portal login to file this form.

The deadline for this form is 120 days after your service start date or your FCDL date, whichever is later.  So, if you received your FCDL before July 1 and your start date is July 1, your deadline is October 29th.  If you received your FCDL after July 1, you can calculate your deadline by going here - https://www.usac.org/sl/tools/deadlines/Default.aspx , and clicking on FCC Form 486 on the left side of the screen.  Just input your SCDL date on the left calendar, and your service start date on the right and click calculate.

Funding Year 2021 (FY 2021-2022) (Form 470)

Finally, we’re at Funding Year 2021 (Fiscal Year 2021/2022).  We’re starting the cycle again with Form 470, which is the first form.  You’ll need your EPC portal login to file this form – which became available July 1st

This is also a great time to check your library information in your portal, to be sure that everything you need is in there.  Keep in mind, they will lock your profile once the Form 471 opens, so you have a limited time for updates!

Form 470 is about setting the stage – no vendor or pricing information is needed.  This is about generalities.  What kind of service are you looking for?  Will you be looking at just category 1 or category 2 services as well?

There’s no deadline for this form yet.  That won’t be set until Form 471 is released.  Keep in mind, there must be a minimum of 28 days between filing Form 470 and Form 471, so you can count back from the last day that Form 471 can be submitted to 28 days before that for the deadline for Form 470.

Questions, questions, and more questions…

What’s a discounted bill?

You can set up with your internet provider to automatically deduct your E-rate discount from your monthly bill (SPI invoicing method).  If you have that set up, then you don’t have to file Form 472 for that service.

Can’t I use my portal login as my PIN for Form 472?

Unfortunately, no. For now, your EPC portal login and your PIN are two totally separate logins so they will be different.  Starting July 27th, you’ll have to log into One Portal (the new multifactor authentication service) to access the EPC portal and/or the BEAR form. You should have already received an email with information about this new service.  Further instructions to all EPC users will be coming closer to time, so be on the lookout!  Eventually, the One Portal login process will replace the use of the PIN numbers.  But, for now, you still file the BEAR form online with your PIN.  I’ll send more on the MFA (multifactor authentication service) in a separate email.

It’s already time to file Form 470?

It is!  It typically opens in June/July.  The FY 2021 FCC Form 470 became available on July 1st.

If you have questions, if you’re in the regional system, you can talk to the regional Assistant Director.  I’m also available for questions as well - just contact me off-list, please.

Happy Summer!

Liz

Liz Thigpen Schreck, Director

Ocoee River Regional Library

State E-rate Coordinator for Public Libraries

Office of Tennessee Secretary of State Tre Hargett

718 George St., NW, Athens, TN 37303

Phone (423) 745-5194 – office;  (423) 649-1583 - direct

Regional Toll Free - (855) 692-8186

Fax (423) 649-1501

This electronic mail may be subject to the Tennessee Public Records Act, Tenn. Code Ann. §10-7-503 et seq.  Any reply to this email may also be subject to this act.

The mission of the Office of the Secretary of State is to exceed the expectations of our customers, the taxpayers, by operating at the highest levels of accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and accountability in a customer-centered environment.

Secretary of State Social Media Links:

www.facebook.com/TennesseeSecretaryofState

www.facebook.com/TNStateLibraryArchives/timeline