Great news!  This is a wonderful award to recognize the outstanding contributions of Kurt to the TGA over the years!

Cheers,

Shih-Lung

From: Alderman, Derek <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2020 1:41 PM
To: GeogFaculty <[log in to unmask]>; GeogFaculty <[log in to unmask]>; McKinney, Nathan Lamar <[log in to unmask]>; Sharpe, Pamela Hope <[log in to unmask]>; Mroz, Connie <[log in to unmask]>; Green, Molly Lynn <[log in to unmask]>; Camponovo, Michael <[log in to unmask]>; Butefish, Kurt L <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Congrats to Kurt Butefish

Dear folks:

I have another piece of fantastic news to share with you.

Kurt Butefish, Executive Director of the Tennessee Geographic Alliance, will receive In December 2020 the Outstanding Support for Geography Education Award from the National Council for Geographic Education (NCGE).

Kurt is being honored with this national award in recognition of his outstanding, decades-long contributions to supporting geography education and geography educators within the state of Tennessee and across the US.

During Kurt’s tenure, the Alliance has trained over 1190 teachers in 1-4 week institutes and thousands more teachers in shorter (half-day to multi-day) workshops. He is widely praised for developing a multi-state annual Geo-Literacy Leadership Institute that has trained 117 professionals from 14 states over five years, preparing them to take a leading role in geography education advocacy in a time in which geography is being diminished in the curriculum.  As a “geoevangelist,” Kurt has shaped state and federal education legislation and standards, mobilized educators to advocate and lobby, and educated teachers, administrators, state education officials, and members of Congress on the importance of geography education.

It is very fitting that this recognition comes to Kurt as he nears retirement from the University of Tennessee. He has done so much for our program and our field and his presence in our Department will be sorely missed.

Please join me in congratulating Kurt on this well-deserved honor.

Best wishes,

Derek

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

He / Him / His

Professor of Geography

Betty Lynn Hendrickson Professor of Social Science

Department of Geography, University of Tennessee

408 Burchfiel Geography Building, Knoxville, TN 37996-0925

Voice: (865) 974-0406

Founder & Co-Coordinator, Tourism RESET

Past President, American Association of Geographers (2017-18)

Email: [log in to unmask], Twitter: @MLKStreet