Hi Susan,

Thank you for beginning this conversation. We have not re-opened yet, but we have some ideas that we are considering for disinfecting books when we re-open.

Reserve Books: Due to the quick turnaround on materials in this collection, we are planning to use disinfecting wipes on the covers.  I have read that there is low risk for spreading germs through the pages of a book.

Incoming/Returned Materials: We are currently planning to quarantine these items for a few days, perhaps 5 days, based on the fact that COVID-19 can live on hard surfaces for about 3 days and  I have read several times now that "the easiest, safest, and most inexpensive disinfectant is time."

Keeping staff safe: We are hoping to put in an acrylic barrier at our Circulation Desk to divide patrons from staff. We are also planning to implement social distancing, cloth masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and staggered shifts in communal work spaces.

I am very interested in the plans that other libraries have put into action or are under consideration.

Thanks,

Susan Martel
Assistant Professor
Circulation & Reference Librarian