Dear all,

It is my pleasure to announce that Adam Alsamadisi successfully defended his PhD dissertation this morning. The title of his dissertation is “The Nexus of Biogeography and GIScience: Utilizing Emerging Big Data Sources and Multiscale Analysis for Species Distribution Models.”  Adam’s committee consists of Drs. Sally Horn, Qiusheng Wu, Mona Papes (EEB), and myself as chair/major professor.

Note that Adam finished his dissertation in two years (2018-2020) while working fulltime as a teacher (and technology integrationist) at the Buckley School in NY city, NY. Given what’s going on in NYC (e.g., the covid-19 pandemic) and being prepared to be a young dad, what Adam accomplished is commendable. Hence please join me to give him a round of applause. Job well done, Adam! Congratulations!

On behalf of Adam and myself, I would like to thank Drs. Horn, Papes, and Wu for serving on Adam’s committee. Without their support and guidance, Adam would not be able to get to this point.

Best wishes,

Liem Tran

Liem Tran, Ph.D.

Professor, Department of Geography

Civil & Environmental Engineering (Adjunct)

University of Tennessee at Knoxville

Tel: 865-974-6034; Fax: 865-974-6025