Good Afternoon Geographers and Sustainers,

Many of you are in an uncomfortable position right now because the coronavirus has significantly impacted what were supposed to be your summer plans. Many of you have internships that have been cancelled or postponed, others have had job offers put on hold. It’s not fair, you didn’t cause any of this, but you are having to deal with it. What should you do about it?

It doesn’t hurt to have a good, old-fashioned stress cry or put your face in your pillow and scream to start. Do what you need to do to get that out of your system, because you have work to do.

Salvaging a current internship or job

Take stock of your current situation

Expand your job search

Use the time to learn new skills

Use the time to catch up on those tasks that will benefit you long term

Maybe grad school isn’t looking too bad right now

The ideas expressed above are my own and come from my personal experiences when trying to switch careers during the recession in 2008. It all worked out in the end, but it took a lot longer than I was anticipating.

Stay strong, you’ve got this.

Michael Camponovo

GIS Outreach Coordinator

Geography Department, UT Knoxville