From: March, Greg <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 9:34 AM
To: Heath, Barbara Jane <[log in to unmask]>; Alam, Md Iftekhar <[log in to unmask]>; Horn, Sally P <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: HathiTrust - Helpful Tips

Everyone,

Here are some helpful tips from Ingrid Ruffin, Head of Learning Commons, when using Hathi Trust:

  • Log-in to the system before searching: This can be found to the right of the screen. If you’re not logged in you will not be able to check out anything. The service requires authentication to know with which institution a user is affiliated – log in first, and from the HathiTrust website.
  • Only available to UTK Students, staff, and faculty: Please treat this resource as you would any non-open access resource, and only send links to people with active UTK netids
  • Search with in HathiTrust: Using either Full-Text or Catalog
  • Look for the “Temporary Access Link”: I found it helpful to keep scrolling down to see the access link. It might have another institutions name beside it, but I was able to access it, probably because we had a physical copy in our library.
  • Select the “Check Out” button: When you click on the Temporary Access link, you’ll see a note that says this is available due to emergency temporary access service, and if you click the “Check Out” button, you’ll have access to the entire book.
  • Each book has limited access once it is checked out:  It will not be available to anyone else at UTK as long as you have it checked out. After a period of inactivity (>60 minutes), or if you close the browser, you’ve checked the book back in.
  • Not Downloadable: You can’t download the work, but you can search within the text and read on screen.
  • Warning: The holdings will not be 100% accurate because our collection has changes since we last submitted our holdings.

Be well,

-Greg

Gregory H. March

Map & Government Information Librarian

Associate Professor

University of Tennessee

Hodges Library

Research Guides – Anthropology, Earth & Planetary Sciences, Geography, Maps, Government
Tennessee Committee on Geographic Names