The Veterans Resource Center is committed to helping our students through this transition and we are here to serve our students. We remain operational; however, Hodges Library is currently closed. While you will not be able to physically come into the Veterans Resource Center you can connect with us by phone, email, or zoom until further notice. Here are some updates to help you with this transition and VA education benefits:

1.    Laptop and Internet -If you do not have an laptop or internet please click on this link for information about obtaining these items from UT forms.utk.edu/tech-request<https://t.e2ma.net/click/kz7sbi/kz352nh/0399mac>.

2.    Tutoring will continue online via zoom. If you still want a tutor for the semester, please contact our office.

3.    Counseling- It’s ok to not be okay. We are in uncharted territory. If you need counseling or are experiencing anxiety, especially if you have trouble adjusting to online learning please contact our office. Feeling isolated during online learning can contribute to anxiety.

4.    Food – The VRC will still have food. If you or your family needs food, or other items please contact us. There are several veteran organizations we partner with locally that are willing to help.

5.    Guard/ Reserve Units- If you are being called up for active orders please let us know how we can help. There are several organizations we partner with that can help you or your family.

6.    Veterans Education BAH Stipend- below is the email we received from VA.

Over the past two weeks, VA has worked with Congress to preserve GI Bill benefits for impacted students during this difficult time.  The Senate and House passed S.3503 and the bill will be headed to POTUS to sign, which will give the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) the authority to continue GI Bill payments uninterrupted in the event of national emergencies. The new law allows for VA to continue to pay benefits regardless of the fact that the program has changed from resident training to online training. Also, students will continue to receive the same monthly housing allowance payments that they received for resident training until January 1, 2021, or until the school resumes normal operations of resident training. VA is working to immediately implement the new changes to address current and future school terms to ensure students continue to receive their education benefits.

What should GI Bill Students know?

There is no action required from a GI Bill student. VA has scheduled several training sessions with all VA approved schools and training facilities over the next couple of days to provide further guidance. We will work closely with schools to ensure enrollments are accurately certified and processed timely.

We are committed to providing regular updates to you through direct email campaigns and social media about VA’s effort to implement these new changes.

If you have questions about your specific circumstance, please contact the Education Call Center at: 1-888-442-4551 between 8 AM and 7 PM Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.

VA OFFICE CLOSED FOR WALK IN TRAFFIC
The Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) Regional Offices closed to the public starting March 19. Regional offices will remain open, but will no longer accept walk-ins for claims assistance, scheduled appointments, counseling and other in-person services. This decision protects our older Veterans and those with underlying conditions as well as our employees.

[http://images.utk.edu/images/interface/ut-emailsignature.gif]

Jayetta M. Rogers
Director
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville