[External Email]

Members and Supporters,

As I know you are aware, the House and Senate Subcommittees meet again on Wednesday, March 11. For the House, this is the last subcommittee hearing before the bill either dies or moves on to the full committee. The hearing is scheduled for 3:30 PM. At the last hearing, the chair allowed speakers from both sides to address the subcommittee. Given the gravity of the falsehoods laid before the members by the groups favoring this bill concerning library events, we have asked the committee to allow us a chance to make a statement. We hope to know Monday whether we will be granted this opportunity. Those libraries which were specifically slandered during this hearing have also made individual attempts to set the record straight with the committee.

We are hoping to have as much library support in the room as possible on Wednesday, particularly from board members. This bill undeniably undermines the authority of governing boards, and we hope to have strong representation there in that regard. If you or any of your board members can attend (especially the House 3:30 hearing), please please please try and be there. If the  House subcommittee votes this measure down, it will not move forward in the Senate--so Wednesday could be the end. The House has allowed the bill to roll twice now, so Wednesday is it--they vote (unless the bill is pulled, which is highly unlikely). If the bill moves forward in the House to the full committee, we have a whole new set of challenges ahead of us: Not only will we be pushing against the House full committee, we will also be dealing further with the Senate committee.

Sadly, I have been called out of town for work on Wednesday and unable to attend the hearings. Our Legislative Monitor, Sharon Edwards, will be in attendance and ready with prepared remarks if allowed the opportunity to speak. She has already emailed and called the members to express our continued opposition and outrage at the misinformation allowed during the last hearing. If you can attend, please let Sharon know so she can send along all the info needed for that day ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>).

If you cannot be in attendance on Wednesday, please keep those going on our behalf in your thoughts around 8:30 and 3:30. We need and appreciate all the good thoughts, vibes, energy, prayers, etc. lifting up those headed into the rooms!

Thank you all for your continued efforts to fight this bill. We will share more information as we have it.

Sincerely,
Jill Rael
TLA President