We are one week away from Tennessee Library Legislative Day! It's not too late to register! We have an awesome day of library advocacy planned! Find all event info here

SCHEDULE FOR TNLLD2020

7:30AM-9:00AM: Registration is open, Cordell Hull Building, room 8D

7:30AM-9:00AM: Librarians & Lawmakers Breakfast, Cordell Hull Building, room 8D

  • Author Andrew Maraniss will be attending the breakfast to sign copies of his latest book, Games of Deception.  Each legislator is receiving a free copy, donated by Philomel.
  • The Legislative Library, located across from room 8D in Cordell Hull, will be open to TNLLD attendees to visit throughout the day. Legislative librarian Eddie Weeks invites you to stop by for a tour or to browse.

9:00AM-9:30AM: Briefing, Cordell Hull Building, room 8D

9:40am - Photo with Governor Lee (1st floor of Capitol, in front of staricase)

9:00AM-11:00AM - Registration is open, Nashville Public Library, hallway outside of Conference Room 1

9:30AM-11:30AM: Legislative appointments

11:30AM- 1:00PM: Lunch Session, Nashville Public Library

  • We will be recognizing legislators who've been key library advocates, and we'll hear updates from TLA, TSLA, FOTL, and TASL.  Our keynote speaker is Julius Jefferson, President-Elect of ALA, who will be speaking on ALA's national advocacy program focusing on building relationships at the local and state level.  "We are in this together." A group photo will be taken at the end of our lunch with our guest speaker

1:00PM: Legislative appointments

Legislative day concludes with your final appointment for the day.  Thank you for joining us and taking time to advocate for Tennessee libraries!

Update on the State Coordinator bill: HB2321/ SB2574

We have a bill number, and it has been filed in the House and Senate, but the bill's language is not quite complete. Representative Whitson's staff are working with the TN DOE on the language so that our bill has the best shot possible at getting passed. Attached is the info sheet that legislators will receive on TNLLD. We will have an easy way in the next few days for you to contact your legislators and encourage them to support the bill, but no need to wait, feel free to contact them however you wish and champion our bill!

Update on the Parental Oversight in Public Libraries bill

If you have not contacted your legislators to let them know to oppose the Parental Oversight in Public Libraries bill, the time is now. TLA has made this very easy, so click here to send an email to your legislators. TLA has written the email for you, you simply input your info and hit send. The bill is in House and Senate subcommittee on Wednesday. Please contact your reps today and continue to do so.

Thanks to all who submitted entries to the TASL Bookmark contest! We will announce the winners on Friday!

Lindsey Kimery

Woodland Middle School, Librarian

TASL, President-Elect/ Conference Chair

TLA, Legislative Day Chair

SE-YA Book Fest, VP

615-969-9755

   The official E-List of the Tennessee Association of School Librarians.