ANNOUNCING
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Guide to Program Assessment

You asked for it, and we delivered!  Based on feedback from faculty and academic program leadership across campus, the Assessment Steering Committee has developed a Guide to Program Assessment<https://sacs.utk.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/59/2020/02/Assessment-Manual-2-7-2020.pdf>, which is designed to guide faculty through the assessment process and answer questions along the way.

In this Guide, you will find information about what program assessment is and why it’s important at UT Knoxville. Details include steps for writing student learning outcomes (SLOs) that can be assessed and selecting the best assessment methods, as well as using assessment data to improve academic programs. Additionally, there are step-by-step instructions for using the Campus Labs planning module<https://utk.campuslabs.com/planning> when creating assessment plans and reporting results. Lastly, the meta-assessment process at UT Knoxville is explained, as well as the connection between program assessment and the institution’s accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

An important goal for UT Knoxville as an institution is to maintain a culture of assessment. Your involvement in and commitment to programmatic assessment is vital, and we appreciate all you do to facilitate the important connection between assessment and improvements in student learning. You will find links to this Guide on the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA) website<https://oira.utk.edu/assessment-planning-and-resources/> and UT Knoxville’s accreditation website<https://sacs.utk.edu/resources/>. You may also navigate to the Guide from the Teaching and Learning Innovation (TLI) website Faculty Central<https://facultycentral.utk.edu/>, under Handbooks, Manuals, & Policy Central.

We hope this resource proves to be valuable for you, and we welcome any and all feedback you may have upon review. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance to you as we gear up for the assessment of programs in academic year 2019-2020. Our email addresses are listed below for your quick reference.

Many thanks,
Committee Members:
Denise Gardner<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Assistant Provost & Director, OIRA
Heather Hartman<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Assistant Vice Provost for Accreditation & SACSCOC Liaison
Melissa Brown<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Director for Assessment and Strategic Initiatives, Division of Student Life
Michael McFall<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Associate Director, OIRA
John Walker<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Research & Assessment Coordinator, TLI
Ashley Browning<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Compliance System Coordinator, Office of the Provost - Accreditation
Ashley Charsha<mailto:[log in to unmask]>, Research Associate, OIRA