[External Email]

Come talk to us at the NNLM Exhibit Booth at the Public Library Association (PLA) conference in Nashville – We’ll be in Booth #1907!

Welcome to Citizen Science Month!
There are many opportunities for libraries to participate in Citizen Science Month (April 2020). This letter
provides a few ideas to help you get started. A hyperlinked PDF is attached.

WHAT IS CITIZEN SCIENCE?
As we face global challenges, we may want to find local ways to make a difference in protecting
endangered species, safeguarding water sources, preventing disease, or accelerating medical research.
Science needs more eyes, ears and perspectives than any scientist possesses. Enter citizen science: a
collaboration between scientists and those of us who are just curious or concerned and motivated to
make a difference.

Citizen science is an invitation to everyone to participate in real science--on topics they care about--
following protocols for data collection, analysis, and reporting. Citizen science can be fun, but it is also
serious science that accelerates research.

Citizen science is for everyone, and your library can become a hub for citizen science.

“WHERE CAN I GET STARTED?” YOU ASK?
SciStarter--a web-based research affiliate of the School for the Future of Innovation in Society at the
Arizona State University--is where millions of people discover opportunities to participate in this
movement that's sweeping the globe, making citizen science a perfect addition to formal and informal
programs in schools, museums, libraries, senior centers, parks, and at home! There’s something for
everyone.

Thanks to support from the National Library of Medicine, SciStarter has partnered up with the School for
the Future of Innovation in Society at Arizona State University to present Citizen Science Month. This
annual event celebrates and promotes all things citizen science: amazing discoveries, incredible
volunteers, hardworking practitioners, inspiring projects, and anything else citizen science-related!
Other partners include the Citizen Science Association, Science Friday, and National Geographic.
We’re here to help you get started! Here are some examples of how you can bring citizen science to you
library during Citizen Science Month and beyond. All of these resources are available for free at
CitizenScienceMonth.org.

LOW EFFORT
Download, print and display a poster, flyers and bookmarks.
Interactive posters invite patrons to share their citizen science
experiences.

MODERATE EFFORT
Host an “Introduction to Citizen Science” event
using free, turn-key digital resources designed
for newcomers and underrepresented in
biomedical research communities.

Host a book club meeting to discuss The Field Guide to
Citizen Science (TimberPress 2020), written by the
experts at SciStarter.

MORE EFFORT
Host a Bioblitz or Megathon, or add citizen science to your Earth Day programs. Find instructions for
these and other ideas in the free, downloadable Library and Community Guide to Citizen Science.
If you already have an event planned, add it to SciStarter so we can help promote it and so we can help
keep track of all the wonderful Citizen Science Month events taking place across the country!

READY TO GET STARTED?
Follow these steps first. Everything you need is at CitizenScienceMonth.org.

1. Sign up to receive our updates for event facilitators, join one of SciStarter’s “Citizen Science Month
Office Hours, and explore CitizenScienceMonth.org.

2. Fill out a survey about receiving resources from the National Library of Medicine, if applicable.

3. Think about how you can incorporate projects selected by the National Library of Medicine and
resources from SciStarter into your library programming.

4. Add your event to SciStarter.

Contact [log in to unmask] with questions.