[External Email]

Members and Supporters,
I want to take a moment to check-in with you all, update you on what is happening, and relay our continued plans. I would also like to share that the Missouri Library Association reached out with an encouraging offer of friendship and support. We are learning much from their experience with this same issue.

First, the TLA board, and some individual members, have been contacted by multiple news outlets. I understand that some are seeking out individual librarians to comment on the legislation. For now, TLA remains committed to our issued statement with no additional comments. The strategy at this point is to maintain this stance until after the subcommittee hearing. I am scheduling a board meeting first thing the following morning to breakdown the outcome of the voting, the questions raised by the subcommittee members, and their possible suggested amendments, so we as a collective board (Executive and Advisory) can decide on our next statement/steps in accordance to what we know at that point. It is possible that the members will roll the bill over to the next agenda. It is possible that it will be voted down. Should it pass this first hurdle, the bill will move on to the larger committee for further consideration. Therefore, we want to be sure our actions and messaging are staying on topic and relevant to whatever the outcome turns out to be. I assure you all, the board too is working through diplomatic channels to make headway.

Second, if you have been contacted by a media outlet please consider sharing that with TLA leadership. We are working hard to keep up with the actions across the state. The ideal person to share that information with is Sharon Kay Edwards, TLA Legislative Monitor at [log in to unmask]. If you feel inclined to make comments to media outlets, please know that the TLA statement is there for you as a guide as well--if you'd like to use it.

Third, if you have not already done so, I encourage you (particularly public library directors) to bring this bill to the attention of your boards. It is important that they know early on that should such a parental board be enacted as proposed, those boards are not beholden to (in any way) the rules, bylaws, or policies of the existing governing board. Should your board desire to voice opposition to this legislation, they may want to consider making direct and personal contact with the bill sponsors either through a written statement or phone call. I do ask that if such action is pursued, that you as a TLA member will help guide them to stay on message and further our unified efforts. I think many of you will agree that in times like these, timing is everything. So, I encourage you and your boards to take action in a way or at the time you feel is right for your library and your community.

Finally, I want to thank each of you that has taken the time to send the engagement letter, shared our message and actions on social media, and taking the time to work through the personal relationships you have so carefully cultivated with your legislators to voice your opinion. Again, please consider attending Library Legislative Day (and bringing board members!) this year. I'm sad to say that no matter what happens with this current legislation, we need our partner-lawmakers well-informed and personally connected to their "home" libraries if we want to continue ensuring that all Tennesseans have the freedom to access information now and in the future.

Sincerely,
Jill Rael
TLA President