[External Email]

All,
I hope that, by now, you have all been made aware of the Parental Oversight in Public Libraries Act (HB2721/SB2896) and TLA's Official Statement<https://www.tnla.org/news/490068/TLA-Statement-on-the-Parental-Oversight-Bill.htm> on it.
We have been monitoring this legislation since it was filed and have been working through various diplomatic channels in opposition to it. We now seek your help in contacting the members of the Cities and Counties sub-committee which will hear the bill on Feb 26th. Please click this link to send all the members a message.<http://cqrcengage.com/alatn/app/write-a-letter?11&engagementId=506453>

 As TLA President Jill Rael said in her message this morning to the TLA Listserv, "Please know that at this moment, this is a "caption" bill, meaning it has a number, some general language, and a sponsor in each chamber. Although the language of the bill, in its current "generic" state speaks to the oversight of library collections, in talks with one sponsor we know that this bill may, in the end, aim to control the use of library meeting spaces. We will not know what any final language will look like until the bill progresses further--if it does.  At this time, TLA is trying to work within the legislative system to voice our opposition to this proposal in a cohesive and constructive way. As we do not yet know what an actual bill will look like, we are trying to work within, rather than providing publicity for, the proposed measure in hopes the bill will not further progress."

Thank you for your willingness to advocate for our libraries, however, we respectfully ask you to refrain from any further actions until further notice. It is of UTMOST IMPORTANCE that we are all on the same message. Thank you for your understanding and your action.

All my best,
Sharon Kay Edwards, MSLS
Legislative Monitor, Tennessee Library Association
Policy Corps Member, American Library Association
(931) 619-7863, (931) 668-7010 ext. 2113
[https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1PB0qtqlnSyu0PFASsOeUVrB-7sAc63gb&revid=0B8RqlvpU9NKpWFBqbmxDUTJVaTFZWWQ4OHNSMnNQWStIYzJvPQ] [https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1KYTLTjLZKWeocDcHW1h2m5p5qhuF9SmT&revid=0B8RqlvpU9NKpOXZQaXJ4VitaUkhFbVlOb21xZ2lFYUNxdVY4PQ]