[External Email]

Members and Supporters,
As many of you are aware, our friends and colleagues from around the country stopped by the Engagement Booth at the PLA conference in Nashville this week. Many supporters from other states took the time to leave postcards, which were delivered to the Department of Tourism. I am so happy to share with you that 1,200 cards in support of Tennessee public libraries were delivered! The Tourism Commissioner will ultimately receive these cards and be briefed on the circumstances surrounding them. I'd like to thank everyone who took the time out of their conference schedules to volunteer at the booth and help people engage.

From residents here in Tennessee, an additional 250 online engagements were sent over the past few days. Additionally, in talks with one Senate staffer, her office had already received over 600 emails in opposition to the legislation.

Please note that Sharon, our Legislative Monitor, has sent a couple of emails out lately to share the new engagement letter for the Senate and to take sign- ups for anyone able to attend or meet with legislators. It should be noted that Wednesday's hearing in the Senate Committee works differently than that of the House. The bill will progress to the full committee for consideration no matter what. In this hearing, the members will decide which committee the bill will go to and will pass it along with either a positive or negative recommendation. So, we must voice our opposition clearly and consistently. If you have not already done so, please utilize the engagement letters--both are available (Senate and House). The House committee hearing has the ability to stop the bill in its tracks, so we must not fatigue in our efforts there either.

Thanks for all you have done and continue to do.
Jill Rael
TLA President