From: Extension Service Personnel Officers in the Southern Region <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Gautreaux, Ashley
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 1:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: J-1 Visiting Scholars

Good afternoon,

We are working on implementing the changes needed to comply with the new FLSA regulations and would like your feedback on your plans to address pay for visiting scholars on J-1 visas.

For purposes of the FLSA, do you consider paid scholars as "employees" and subject to the changes effective on January 1?  We currently pay these individuals, but that rate often does not meet the new salary level threshold.  Sometimes we are only supplementing funds they receive from their home country.  We have not had the scholars account for their hours worked in the past since we are not required to compensate them.

Please let us know how you plan to proceed.  I appreciate it!

Thank you,

Ashley R. Gautreaux
Human Resources Director
LSU AgCenter