From: Alderman, Derek
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 2:05 PM
To: GeogGrads <[log in to unmask]>; GeogFaculty <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
Cc: Micheline van Riemsdijk <[log in to unmask]>; Benjamin, Stefanie Ka <[log in to unmask]>; Munoz, Isabel Solange <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Emma Walcott-Wilson Dissertation Defense, Dec. 3, 12:30pm

Dear folks:

It is my great honor and pleasure to announce that Geography doctoral candidate Emma Walcott-Wilson will present and defend her dissertation on Tuesday, Dec. 3, beginning at 12:30pm in Burchfiel, room 104 (normally used as the Geography Community Engagement room).

The title of Emma's dissertation is " Tour guides as place-makers: Emotional labor, plantation aesthetics, and interpretations of slavery in South Carolina." Her graduate committee consist of Drs. Stefanie Benjamin, Solange Munoz, and Micheline van Riemsdijk and I serve as committee chair/advisor.

As is the custom, the defense will begin a brief presentation by the candidate followed by a few questions from the general audience and a longer, closed door discussion with the doctoral committee. The wider department community and members of the university and Knoxville community are invited to the public presentation and Q & A.

Best wishes,
DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD
Professor of Geography<http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-derek-alderman/>
Betty Lynn Hendrickson Professor of Social Science
Department of Geography, University of Tennessee
408 Burchfiel Geography Building, Knoxville, TN 37996-0925