Dear Graduate Students and Interested Undergrads, especially Seniors and Juniors,

I am offering GEOG 541: Topics in Urban-Economic Geography in SP 2020, which will meet once a week, on Wednesdays, 3:35 pm-6:25 pm, with a short 10 minutes break in between.

This time, I plan on covering readings from North America as well as other parts of the developed and developing world. The main focus will be to understand the complex intersectionalities of race and gender in economic disparities -- an issue  that links the developing world with the developed world.  As such, I plan on covering theories of inequalities that will include famous scholars on critical Feminists theories as well as theories of development. Concerning the developed world, particularly USA, we will look at scholarly work focusing on post World War II social and economic geographies that concern gender and race disparity within the larger perspectives of industrial restructuring and spatial mismatch that further aggravated gaps across races and gender. In doing so, we will also link the widening gaps across gender in developing world -- which were primarily socio-spatial manifestations of global-scale economic restructuring.

I am still putting the readings list together. Please find the attached flyer. Do reach out to me if you wanted to discuss more, or would like some additional interest included in the readings.

Best wishes

Madhuri

<http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-madhuri-sharma/>

Madhuri Sharma