Y'all are superstars!! Thank you so much for signing the letter to Gov. Lee
which circulated on the listserv last month. In total, we had 332
signatures!
State Librarian, Chuck Sherrill, hand delivered the letter to the
Governor's office, and we have sent the following Press release to the
Tennesseean:
Feel free to send it on to your local newspaper for printing, and *LET US
KNOW if they publish it. *

Thanks so much!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tennessee Librarians Seek a Seat at Gov. Lee’s Distressed Counties Table

Community-minded Librarians Offer Gov. Lee Valuable Insight to Aide
Distressed Counties

TENNESSEE, SEPTEMBER 21, 2019 — More than 300 Tennessee librarians, library
staff, and library supporters signed on to a letter to Gov. Lee requesting
the inclusion of libraries in his Distressed County discussions.

The letter, sponsored by the Tennessee Library Association, The Tennessee
State Library and Archives, The Tennessee School Library Association, and
the Friends of Tennessee Libraries highlights the many ways librarians and
library workers are, “a rich resource for concerning community needs,”
including details about public, school, and academic libraries to
underscore their ask.

   -

   18 million people visited a public library in Tennessee last year and TN
   librarians helped them find information about employment, education,
   government benefits, health issues, and laws. In many Tennessee libraries,
   community members learned emerging technical skills like coding, graphic
   design, and 3D printing while others learned basic computer skills like
   setting up an email account.
   -

   School libraries are an integral part of providing Tennessee with, to
   quote Gov. Lee,  “a stronger education system; a better-prepared
   workforce," and are a trusted place where Tennessee’s youth discover their
   strengths, passions, and future career paths. As such, school librarians
   have a unique window into the lives of K-12 students and their families and
   possess a deep understanding of their community-at-large.
   -

   Academic librarians in Tennessee work face-to-face with both Tennessee
   Promise and Tennessee Reconnect students. They meet the digital needs of
   our rural students with little connection to the internet and provide
   crucial Information Literacy instruction to help build a workforce of
   critical and analytical thinkers.
   -

   Libraries of all kinds across Tennessee have been providing STEM
   education to children and adults. From Makerspaces and science-themed
   summer reading programs to after-school coding classes and seed libraries,
   your Tennessee librarians and library workers have years of successful STEM
   experience and insight to offer.

The letter also informs Gov. Lee how libraries are an embedded and integral
part of their communities with years of experience in helping to raise the
quality of life for Tennesseans. “Librarians and library staff know their
communities in ways others often do not and are a trusted resource for
people of all ages. Additionally, our librarians are some of the most
civic-minded and community-active Tennesseeans — serving on boards and
embedded in organizations across many spectrums. This means we often have a
reach far beyond our institutions...As such, we formally request a seat at
the stakeholder’s table as problems are discussed and solutions
identified.”

A full copy of the letter, including 332 signatures, can be found at the
following link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vyPKnOMxcFYbbEE_lSb7El3ure7YWeKbcR0iDh6EAtM/edit?usp=sharing

*About: The Tennessee Library Association*

*The Tennessee Library Association is a professional association for all
Tennessee Libraries — public, school, academic, medical, and special— and
works to promote the  establishment, maintenance, and support of adequate
library services for all people of the state, cooperate with public and
private agencies with related interests, and support and further
professional interests of the membership of the Association.*

###

All my best,
Sharon Kay Edwards, MSLS

Legislative Monitor, Tennessee Library Association

(931) 619-7863