Dear TN Librarians,

As you’ve likely heard, we lost a great asset to our community in the passing of Lynette Sloan. Below is a beautiful obituary and tribute written by our State Librarian Chuck Sherrill. Lynette’s funeral services are to be held this Friday in Athens, Tennessee. Additional information is below. At this week’s TLA Executive Board meeting, we will be activating existing protocol and procedures to vote on a monetary memorial to Lynette in honor of her years of dedicated service to this organization and libraries throughout our state. She will be sorely missed.

Dear Colleagues,

 It is my sad duty to report to you that Lynette Sloan, who retired less than a year ago as Director of Regional Libraries, has passed away.

 Lynette was a native of Athens, TN, and earned her library degree at the University of Tenn. in Knoxville. She worked in public libraries in North Carolina and West Virginia before coming home to Tennessee. In the 1980s she was Director of the Blue Grass Regional Library in Columbia (now the Ocoee River Region). In the 1990s she came to the State Library and Archives as Director of Technical Services. After her son Jason was badly injured in a car crash she moved back to Athens to be closer to family. She became Director of the Fort Loudon Regional Library (now the Ocoee River Region). In 2010 she returned to Nashville as Director of Regional Libraries. Her dedication to Tennessee public libraries could not be surpassed. She poured her life and energies into realizing the motto she chose for the Regional System: We Make Libraries Better. And she made the lives of those who worked with her better, too. Her kindness, willingness to help, wise counsel and heart for service touched us all.

 Lynette is survived by her son Rev. Dr. Nathan Sloan of Louisville, Kentucky, his wife Sarah, and their daughter Asia, and a brother Danny Sloan of Dallas, Texas.

 Funeral plans are as follows:

 Ziegler Funeral Home

521 W. Madison Avenue

Athens, TN  37303

United States

 Visitation on Friday – Noon – 1:00 pm

Service – 1:00 pm

Graveside to follow at McMinn Memorial Gardens

 In lieu of flowers contributions in Lynette Sloan’s memory may be sent to the Etowah Public Library. The library has a Paypal account here, or mail can be sent to 723 Ohio Avenue, Etowah TN 37331.

 Cards may be sent to Nathan and Sarah Sloan, 532 E. St. Catherine St., Louisville KY 40203.

 Sincerely,

Chuck Sherrill

Charles A. Sherrill
State Librarian and Archivist