Hello Amphibian Disease Researchers,

My name is Riley Bernard and I am a Postdoctoral Research Associate with Pennsylvania State University and USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. I work with Dr. Evan Grant on using tools from Decision Analysis to help researchers and managers work through complex decision problems, specifically, managing emerging infectious diseases like white-nose syndrome in bats and Bsal.

Over the last seven months, a group of individuals from the Bsal Research, Management, and Decision Science Working Groups have been developing a table to collate all Bsal or Bd management actions that are in varying stages of research and development. The plan is to create a comprehensive list of all actions or treatments that could be implemented by managers in the field to 1) minimize the introduction, establishment, and spread of Bsal and/or 2) maximize the survival and persistence of susceptible hosts. We (folks from the Bsal Decision Science WG) would like to elicit information regarding the development and efficacy of these management tools during the extended break during the Bsal special session at TWS (September 30, 2019 from ~10:00 – Noon).

During the session break at TWS, we will use knowledge from either literature, lab research, or manager experiences to list all possible actions, specific scenarios (i.e., combinations of species, habitats, and landscapes), and endpoints related to survival and growth of host and pathogen populations (e.g., intercepts, shape parameters, etc.). Results will be in the form of a comprehensive table of all potential actions, including those under current research and potential actions for future research, with the aim of becoming a tool for managers and researchers. After this mini-workshop, the Decision Science WG will develop plans to populate the table through more comprehensive literature reviews and/or an expert judgment workshop, and where known, include estimates of actions on endpoints to help guide decisions.

To maximize our time together at the TWS meeting, we will have a Zoom call tomorrow (Thursday, September 12) at 12pm Eastern time (see call in details below). The goal of this call will be to develop a discrete set of end-points and alternative management options for Bsal, for which we need your input. If you are not attending or do not know if you will be attending TWS this year, fear not, we still want and need your input. Matt and Jamie plan to do a Zoom session for the entire symposium (8 am to 5 pm PDT on 30 Sept) barring any technical difficulties (need a decent Wi-Fi signal).

Agenda for first call:
  • Objectives:
    • Identify endpoints for Bsal management
  • Go through list of alternatives (attached)
    • Are we missing anything?
      • In order to fully evaluate treatments, they need to be framed in a decision context (i.e., management objectives [range])
      • Organize
    • Offer objectives from resource managers (flavors of amphibian objective: occupancy, abundance, persistence, disease state, single species, community)
      • Of the refuges, they state their amphibian objective differently
      • Non-amphibian objectives: cultural, water quality, other species
  • Homework:
    • Brainstorm additional treatments, with specific treatment, target species/systems, restrictions to treatment/action, and where the management action work best.
    • If there are any readings (white papers from susceptibility trials, transmission probability) that people are willing to share, please reply all to this email.
Thank you for your time and consideration, and apologies for any cross listing or duplicate emails.

We look forward to working with you,

Riley Bernard
--------
Call in information for tomorrow's call, as well as the full symposium, is below:

================ZOOM INVITATION==============

Hi there,

Matt Gray is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Matt Gray's Personal Meeting Room

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://tennessee.zoom.us/j/8653850772

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll):  +16468769923,8653850772#  or +16699006833,8653850772#

Or Telephone:
    Dial:
    +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
    +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
    400 669 9381 (CN Toll Free)
    Meeting ID: 865 385 0772
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/awnAqXR7Y

Or an H.323/SIP room system:
    H.323: 162.255.37.11 (US West) or 162.255.36.11 (US East)
    Meeting ID: 865 385 0772

    SIP: [log in to unmask]

--
Riley F. Bernard, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Scientist

The Pennsylvania State University
United States Geological Survey
Patuxent Research Center
Turners Falls, MA
(808) 333-1184
Pronouns: she/her/hers

"We will be known forever by the tracks we leave."
~Dakota proverb