Good Morning and Happy Friday!
I am encouraged by this swelling of library advocacy!
When Gov. Lee took office and charged his 22 Commissioners to write reports
on "how best to help the 11 distressed counties" I too thought of libraries
and mentioned this to all in attendance at Legislative Day—urging them to
contact the commissioners and tell them how libraries can help his rural
initiatives. I contacted the governor's office then, and I know others did
the same.
The most effective grass-roots advocacy, however, *does *take many more
voices reaching out to—and building relationships with—legislators. (And it
takes multiple points of contact over time to achieve a *true *
relationship.)
To that end, we are in the process of writing a letter from TLA and TSLA
and will send it on the listservs for TN Librarians to add their
signatures. So, be on the lookout for it!
Also, I would be remiss if I didn't use this opportunity to STRONGLY URGE
attendance at TN Library Legislative Day in 2020. It's an election year,
and your participation can make 2020's Leg Day an even bigger success.

All my best,
Sharon Kay Edwards, MSLS

Legislative Monitor, Tennessee Library Association

(931) 619-7863