It’s that time of year again.

We are beginning to process fall enrollments. We anticipate a very busy fall semester for the VA.

Tips to get paid on time

1.     Turn your paperwork in early. Even if your schedule is not completely squared away. Its quicker for us to do an adjustment later than to process your paperwork for the first time after classes start. An enrollment form is attached to this email if you need it

2.     Once our office has submitted your enrollment to the VA you will get a reminder email from the VA ONCE system. Remember if you are using post 9/11 benefits we submit yours hours first then make and adjustment and submit tuition and fees. We submit your hours long before the tuition and fees so you get your stipend on time.

3.     Remember stipends are paid one month behind. So your August stipend won’t arrive until September. August and December stipends will be partial amounts.

Deferments

Check your MYUTK for the veterans fall 2019 deferment plan. We are starting to add deferments to all accounts. You should have an automated email from us if we have added your deferment.

If you have turned in your enrollment and do not see the deferment on your account by August 10, 2019 please call our office at 865-974-5420

If you have the deferment you will still receive an email from the bursar saying your balance is due. You can ignore these emails if you log into myutk and see that you are on deferment. If you do not have a deferment on your account and have not made payment arrangements with the Bursar office before the payment deadline (August 19th) the BURSAR WILL DROP YOUR SCHEDULE.

FAQ regarding benefits and payments.

The VA did not pay my housing, meal plan or parking, why not?

The VA does not pay for meals, housing, lodging, ebooks, parking, learning communities, fees, fines, or

the $10.00 study abroad fee.

Why haven't I been certified yet?

Certification is the school's way of notifying VA that you are enrolled and wish to be certified. You must

let your VA Rep know that you plan to attend the upcoming term. You may make this notification as

early as soon as you are able to register for the next semester. Make sure you have your class schedule

set before you request to be certified. Changes in enrollment may impact or delay your eligibility. Allow

10 working days to process your paperwork. Allow 4-6 during peak times (beginning of the term). Turn

the enrollment form in early to avoid delays.

I have not been paid yet. Where's my money?

Once VA certification takes place it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks before you receive payments. Its

best to check with VA at 1-888-442-4551 to see if payment has been processed. You will also receive a

letter in the mail telling you the amount of payment and payment date for each semester of enrollment.

When I do get paid, will I get "back pay"?

If there are delays in payment but you would have been eligible when the semester started then yes,

you will receive back pay for the entire semester.

My payment reflects 3/4 time enrollment, but I've added a class. I'm full time. How do I fix this?

Please email our office at [log in to unmask] and let us know the course name and number that you have

added. We will need to recertify you. This will delay your payments for full time enrollment.

What time period does this payment cover?

The VA paid period is starts with the official first day of classes and ends with the official last day of

classes according to university policy. Partial months of enrollment are always pro-rated.

I'm no longer active duty, but I'm still being paid tuition and fees only. When will I receive my full

benefits?

When did you ETS? Did you provide VA with a copy of your DD214? When you ETS, it is the Department

of Defense's responsibility to update your duty status in the Department of Veterans' Affairs database.

Updates could take up to 90 days. By providing our office with a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy)

you can expedite the conversion of your entitlement to "off-duty" pay. In general, allow VA 30 to 60

days to adjust your pay following receipt of the DD214.

I called the 1-888-GI Bill-1, and they said that my school hasn't submitted my 22-1999 (enrollment

certification)!

In general, it takes 1-2 weeks for VA to acknowledge receipt of certification documents. Most

certifications are submitted to VA electronically. We receive instant verification of receipt of these

documents. We can provide you the transaction number or certification number upon request and you

always receive an email when a certification has been submitted. We always use the @vols.utk.edu

email address when submitting claims.

I can't get through to the 1-888-GI Bill-1?

The number provided to you is the same number we are given; thus, we experience the same delays.

Instead, you may want to set up a "phone appointment" when prompted or you may submit a question

through the gibill.va.gov website.

I've been paid too much money. I've received an overpayment letter. What do I do?

You will need to

make payment arrangements with the VA directly. You can call them at 1-888-442-4551

Does the VRC have a textbook loan program?

Yes, please contact Thomas Cruise. If you have used textbooks and would like to donate them to our

VRC for other students please drop them off in the VRC.

I am using the TN Strong act do I get charged in state tuition?

No, use of the TN strong act is not a federally funded educational benefit from the Department of

Veterans Affairs. Please speak with our residency office for further questions.

http://images.utk.edu/images/interface/ut-emailsignature.gif

Jayetta M. Rogers
Director

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville