Are you looking for an engaging summer professional development opportunity? Consider this online course titled Critical Thinking in the Digital Age: Analyzing News & Media Sources (offered through ALA eLearning) - the course runs July 8-August 4.

Course description:

In an era where digital information is ubiquitous and fake news is everywhere, training students to think critically regarding digital information is crucial. As information professionals, we are trained to analyze the authority and sourcing of information, and we need to provide our students with this same type of training so they can develop into media-literate practitioners.

In this four-week eCourse, you’ll learn how to develop and enhance students’ critical information and digital literacy skills. The instructors share techniques and strategies for teaching students how to analyze and critique news and media sources that can apply in a variety of settings. You'll also get an opportunity to make immediate connections between the course content and your own professional environment. You will leave this course with specific lesson plans, activities, and assessments that you can use to help your students become media literate in today’s digital society.

This course is recommended for academic librarians, K-12 librarians, and K-12 teachers.

For more information and to register, head to: https://www.alastore.ala.org/content/critical-thinking-digital-age-analyzing-news-and-media-sources-ecourse

For any questions, please feel free to contact Melissa Mallon ([log in to unmask]), Director of Peabody Library & Director of Teaching & Learning at Vanderbilt Libraries

Karen M. Swoopes, PACE

Administrative Assistant, Peabody Library

PMB 135 - 230 Appleton Place

Nashville, TN  37203-5721

me-excellence-insignia-2019  escription: PACE Program

cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]">