Hello, Campus Communicators,

The School of Art is searching for original FRAMED WORKS (any subject or period) by the late Carl Sublett, faculty emeritus, for a summer 2019 exhibition at the UT Downtown Gallery, 106 S. Gay Street. Please forward this request to faculty and staff in your department.

From gallery manager Mike Berry:

Our last Sublett exhibition was in 2008, and with Eric Sublett's recent passing, we are continuing with his wishes to mount an exhibition in celebration of his father Carl Sublett's 100th birthday. We are focusing on works from local collectors that have not been seen previously in a public exhibition. We also would like to include works by Eric Sublett, who devoted his life to promoting his father's work.

ABOUT THE ARTIST

Carl Sublett (1919-2008) was a beloved painting professor at the University of Tennessee, originally hired by C. Kermit "Buck" Ewing as his teaching assistant in 1954. In 1966, Sublett became a full time assistant professor, and in 1976 a full professor of painting. He retired in 1982.

WHAT WE ARE REQUESTING

• FRAMED Carl Sublett works for possible inclusion in the exhibition (we will consider un-framed works).

• The works must be available for loan June-July 2019 to the UT Downtown Gallery.

HOW TO RESPOND

1.       Email or text a reference photo of the piece to Mike Berry, [log in to unmask] or 865-591-7528 (don't worry about the quality of the picture because these are not for reproduction purposes).

2.       Please include size of piece (if you know the title and year, please add, but not necessary).

3.       Please include your name and contact info.

4.       If you know of a piece, you may send the collector’s contact information.

Timeline:

April 2019 - Compile list of available works in the area

May 2019 - Selection of works

Mid-May 2019 - Delivery/transportation of works to Gallery

June 7, 2019 - Opening Reception

June-July 2019 - Exhibition

Mid-July 2019 - Return of works to owners

Thank you for your assistance in our search for Carl Sublett's works.

Sincerely,

Mike C. Berry

UT Downtown Gallery

106 S. Gay Street