Library Superfans,
TN Library Legislative day is TUESDAY!!! (Cue loud cheers, flag waving, and
spontaneous dancing.)
If you missed the online registration deadline, no worries! *You can still
register on-site at Nashville Public Library's Downtown Branch located at
615 Church St, Nashville, TN 37219. *
Here are a few things you should know before Tuesday. (A *lot *of info
here—apologies in advance.)

*General Information*

   - *PARKING:* There is a parking garage adjacent to Nashville Public
   Library on 6th Ave. Parking rates and other places to park downtown can be
   found *HERE <https://www.parkitdowntown.com/nashville/library-garage>.*
   - *WE WILL GO TO THE CORDELL HULL BUILDING BEFORE REGISTERING!!*  *Cordell
   Hull is located at:**425 5th Ave N, Nashville, TN 37243 *
   - Registration will begin* between 9:45 and 10:00 at NPL*
      - We want as many attendees as possible on the *8th floor of the
      Cordell Hull Building
      <https://www.nashvilledowntown.com/go/cordell-hull-building> *for the
      breakfast/coffee with legislators from 8:00-10: 00 am.  An informal
      elbow-rubbing event with lawmakers is more important than standing in a
      registration line.
      - I have attached a walking route from NPL/ the parking garage to the
      CORDELL HULL building. You can open the map on your mobile by
      clicking *HERE
      <https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nashville+Public+Library,+615+Church+St,+Nashville,+TN+37219/Cordell+Hull+State+Office+Building,+425+5th+Ave+N,+Nashville,[log in to unmask],-86.783773,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x886466589f3ff2a9:0xc9267ff93daadac9!2m2!1d-86.781747!2d36.162117!1m5!1m1!1s0x886466f86b395987:0x24151d88e0f1f5ff!2m2!1d-86.7829907!2d36.1670859!3e2>.*
      I have also included the coffee invitation that was emailed to
all the legislature.
      *FEEL FREE TO EMAIL IT TO YOUR REPS AND MENTION YOU WILL BE IN
      ATTENDANCE!*
      - I have attached a* PDF map of Cordell Hull's interior. *You can
      also view it *HERE*
      <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hnx0DNUy61FwKKjhNS2udKD_PUGo7HIt/view?usp=sharing>
   - *You will go through security *at the Cordell Hull building.
      - Keep that in mind when packing your purse/briefcase.
      - Avoid any metal if you can.
   - We will hand out "Support Your Library" bags with info-packets to the
   legislators at the coffee.
      - Upon registering, we will also provide you with bags to take to
      your meetings.
   - You will get a "Tour the Library" invitation to hand to your
   representative.* Please take the time to fill in your library's
   information prior to meeting your rep!*
   - I have attached the handouts we are giving the lawmakers. Our issues:
   Net Neutrality, Rural Broadband, and supporting school librarians in their
   ask for a State Coordinator of School Libraries.* Please review the
   attached handouts before Tuesday!*
   - The *Auditorium Sessions at NPL will begin at 11:00.* I have attached
   an agenda for the day.
   - Lunch is provided for all those who pre-registered. We have ordered a
   few extra, but if you register on-site, please know you may not get a
   lunch.
   - ALA Past President, Jim Neal, is our Keynote speaker during lunch!
   - After Lunch, we adjourn for our legislator meetings.
      - We will keep track of all the lawmakers with scheduled meetings and
      those who attended the coffee. AFTER LUNCH, WE WILL TAKE THE INFORMATION
      HANDOUTS AND BAGS TO THOSE WE HAVE YET TO REACH. If you do not have a
      meeting in the afternoon, we would love your help with taking the
      bags/information packets to the offices yet to be visited.

*What to Bring*

   - Information about *YOUR LIBRARY*
      - We are providing information about the bills we support, but we
      strongly encourage you to also talk about the great things YOU
are doing in
      your community.
   - Your nametag from work.
      - We are providing nametags at registration, but are unable, (this
      year) to provide your nametag before the 8am coffee. We'll work on this
      before next year.
   - Comfortable shoes. You will do lots of walking to and from the Cordell
   Hull building and in and out of legislative offices.
   - A positive attitude. We are building important relationships with
   legislators. Please remember to keep your political views separate from
   library advocacy—and not just in the meeting with your reps. You may walk
   the halls or ride the elevator with a Legislative aide who can overhear
   everything you say. Don't allow a private conversation to undo your
   advocacy. So, keep a positive attitude while in the legislative offices.

*Other Tips*

   - We will have a* VIRTUAL ADVOCACY DAY
   <http://cqrcengage.com/alatn/app/write-a-letter?4&engagementId=496828>*
   for those unable to attend on-site. Please share the link
   <http://cqrcengage.com/alatn/app/write-a-letter?4&engagementId=496828>
   on FB, Twitter, texts, and emails.
   - *TAKE PHOTOS WITH YOUR LEGISLATORS AND TAG THEM ON SOCIAL MEDIA*. Say
   something like, "Thank you (insert tagged rep) for meeting with me today
   supporting TN Libraries..."
   - Send a Thank You email to follow up and invite them to visit your
   library once again. Pretty please do this.

Thank you for reading all of this and for being a library advocate.
See you Tuesday!

Best,
Sharon Kay Edwards, MSLS

Legislative Monitor, Tennessee Library Association

(931) 619-7863