Call your Representative today!!

Susan J

TLA Councilor

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Marci Merola
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [alacro-l] Urgent Update: Dear Appropriator Letters

Dear Chapters,

With less than three days left to confirm signatures on the LSTA and IAL letters, we still are short of last year’s levels. As of this morning, we are still short of last year’s signatures. We need to match last year’s levels!

Please make a priority TODAY to take several actions:

·       If you have not submitted a state chapter letter, please do so today. In addition to sending the letters with your Congressional offices, share your letter with ALA so we can amplify your message. ALA will share these letters with the appropriate Congressional staff in Washington and use these letters in social media outreach to Members of Congress. The following states have submitted a letter: Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and West Virginia. Please upload a copy of your letter to ALA at: https://airtable.com/shrfK0kpex6OtKAJ5

·       Urge your allies and colleagues in your state to contact their Representative and ask them to sign these two letters. The more calls from their home state and district, the more likely it is that a Member of Congress will sign the letters. Urge associates to participate by signing up for our engagement tool at https://cqrcengage.com/ala/?0

·       We are pushing newly elected Representatives who likely are not familiar with these programs nor have they seen these letters before. Review the list of names below. If a representative from your state is on this list, please contact their office today as the deadline is Monday. You may use the script provided here:

SCRIPT

1.       There are two Dear Appropriator Letters circulating in support of library funding and we note that your boss has not signed these letters.

2.       One supports Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) which returns federal funds to our state libraries every year and is led by Representatives Raul Grijalva (Pronounced Gree-halva) and Don Young.

3.       The second supports the Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) in the Department of Education and is led by Representatives Eddie Bernice Johnson, Don Young and Jim McGovern.

4.       This may be the first time you are seeing these letters, but we are asking that your boss sign these letters and show support for the local public and school libraries in your district.

5.       Please contact these offices today to add your name in support of library funding. We want to be able to tell the library community in your state that you support library funding!

o   For LSTA: Marilyn Zepeda at [log in to unmask] with Rep. Raul Grijalva or Truman Reed at [log in to unmask] with Rep. Don Young

o   For IAL: Nawaid Ladak at [log in to unmask] with Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson or Truman Reed at[log in to unmask] with Rep. Don Young

NEWLY ELECTED MEMBERS WHO HAVE NOT SIGNED LSTA and IAL LETTERS:

State

District

First Name

Last Name

OFFICE Phone

area code (202)

AZ

9

Greg

Stanton

225-9888

AZ

2

Ann

Kirkpatrick

225-2542

CA

10

Josh

Harder

225-4540

CA

21

TJ

Cox

225-4695

CA

25

Katie

Hill

225-1956

CA

39

Gil

Cisneros

225-4111

CA

45

Katie

Porter

225-5611

CA

48

Harley

Rouda

225-2415

CA

49

Levin

Mike

225-3906

CO

2

Joseph

Neguse

225-2161

CO

6

Jason

Crow

225-7882

CT

5

Jahana

Hayes

225-4476

FL

6

Michael

Waltz

225-2706

FL

15

Ross

Spano

225-1252

FL

17

W. Greg

Steube

225-5792

FL

26

Debbie

Mucarsel-Powell

225-2778

FL

27

Donna

Shalala

225-3931

GA

6

Lucy

McBath

225-4501

HI

1

Ed

Case

225-2726

IA

1

Abby

Finkenauer

225-2911

IA

3

Cindy

Axne

225-5476

ID

1

Russell

Fulcher

225-6611

IL

4

Jesus

Garcia

225-8203

IL

6

Sean

Casten

225-4561

IL

14

Lauren

Underwood

225-2976

IN

4

James

Baird

225-5037

IN

6

Gregory

Pence

225-3021

KS

2

Steve

Watkins

225-6601

KS

3

Sharice

Davids

225-2865

MA

3

Lori

Trahan

225-3411

MA

7

Ayanna

Pressley

225-5111

ME

2

Jared

Golden

225-6306

MI

8

Elissa

Slotkin

225-4872

MI

9

Andy

Levin

225-4961

MI

11

Haley

Stevens

225-8171

MI

13

Rashida

Tlaib

225-5126

MN

1

Jim

Hagedorn

225-2472

MN

2

Angela

Craig

225-2271

MN

3

Dean

Phillips

225-2871

MN

5

Ilhan

Omar

225-4755

MN

8

Pete

Stauber

225-6211

MS

3

Michael

Guest

225-5031

ND

At Large

Kelly

Armstrong

225-2611

NJ

2

Jeff

Van Drew

225-6572

NJ

3

Andrew

Kim

225-4765

NJ

7

Tom

Malinowski

225-5361

NJ

11

Rebecca

Sherrill

225-5034

NM

1

Debra

Haaland

225-6316

NM

2

Xochitl

Torres Small

225-2365

NV

3

Susie

Lee

225-3252

NY

11

Max

Rose

225-3371

NY

14

Alexandria

Ocasio-Cortez

225-3965

NY

19

Antonio

Delgado

225-5614

NY

22

Brindisi

Anthony

225-3665

OH

16

Anthony

Gonzalez

225-3876

OK

5

Kendra

Horn

225-2132

PA

4

Madeleine

Dean

225-4731

PA

6

Christina

Houlahan

225-4315

PA

9

Daniel

Meuser

225-6511

PA

13

John

Joyce

225-2431

PA

14

Guy

Reschenthaler

225-2065

SC

1

Joe

Cunningham

225-3176

SC

4

William

Timmons

225-6030

SD

At Large

Dustin

Johnson

225-2801

TN

2

Tim

Burchett

225-5435

TN

6

John

Rose

225-4231

TN

7

Mark

Green

225-2811

TX

2

Daniel

Crenshaw

225-6565

TX

3

Nicholas "Van"

Taylor

225-4201

TX

5

Lance

Gooden

225-3484

TX

6

Ron

Wright

225-2002

TX

7

Elizabeth

Fletcher

225-2571

TX

16

Veronica

Escobar

225-4831

TX

21

Chip

Roy

225-4236

TX

29

Sylvia

Garcia

225-1688

TX

32

Colin

Allred

225-2231

VA

2

Elaine

Luria

225-4215

VA

5

Denver

Riggleman

225-4711

VA

6

Benjamin

Cline

225-5431

VA

7

Abigail

Spanberger

225-2815

VA

10

Jennifer

Wexton

225-5136

WA

8

Kim

Schrier

225-7761

WI

1

Bryan

Steil

225-3031

WV

3

Carol

Miller

225-3452

PA

5

Mary

Scanlon

225-5121

PA

7

Susan

Wild

225-2011

NV

4

Steven

Horsford

225-9894

Thank you,

Marci

Marci Merola, Director

Office for Library Advocacy

American Library Association

50 E. Huron Street, Chicago, IL, 60611

312.280.2431; 800.545.2433, x2431

Visit www.ilovelibraries.org

If you no longer wish to receive information via this e-list, here are the instructions on how to unsubscribe:

UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS:
* Go to http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/alacro-l
* Log in on this page; first time users will need to get a password by following instructions
* Choose Unsubscribe from the left-hand column and follow instructions