Susan L. Jennings

611 Carriage Parc Dr.

Chattanooga, TN   37421

423-744-4129 (c)

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Marci Merola
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: Kevin Maher <[log in to unmask]>; Joaquin Falcon <[log in to unmask]>; Megan Cusick <[log in to unmask]>; Kathi Kromer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [alacro-l] LSTA and IAL Call to Action: Letters to Federal Representatives

Dear Chapters,

As you may have heard, the White House budget proposal for FY2020 targets elimination of federal funding for libraries. For the past two years, programs that support a wide range of library activities—including Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) – were recommended for elimination by the Administration. After a lengthy delay due to the government shutdown, the Administration is again recommending similar eliminations in its budget request to Congress.

This year's "Dear Appropriator" letters have started to circulate in the House, asking Representatives to preserve more than $210 million in federal library funding. One letter asks members of the House Appropriations Committee to fully fund the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the other asks the Committee to fully fund the Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) program. The more signatures we have, the better the chance that the appropriators will protect funding for LSTA and IAL programs.  The bipartisan LSTA letter is being led by Representatives Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) and Don Young (R-AK) and the bipartisan IAL letter is being led by Representatives Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), Don Young (R-AK), and Jim McGovern (D-MA).

This work is particularly important as the battle for domestic spending becomes more intense. Fortunately, Congress decides the levels of federal spending, not the Administration. Over the past two years, Congress has rejected the Administration’s funding priorities. This success has come with the work of a great many people, led by the support of library leaders such as yourselves. Unfortunately, we will need to again work to ensure libraries continue to receive federal funding.

This week, ALA Assistant Executive Director Kathi Kromer announced the launch of the FY 2020 appropriations campaign in response to the President’s budget. A key component to this campaign is the circulation in the House (and soon Senate) of two Dear Appropriator Letters supporting library funding. Many of you are familiar with these letters and the simple premise: the more signature we can get on these letters, the more likely it is that Congress will support library funding.

How can you help? We are asking all state chapters to take several actions by March 20:

·       Create a letter, using your letterhead, urging Members of the House of Representatives to sign the two Dear Appropriator letters; one letter for LSTA, one for IAL.  A template letter is attached.

·       Send these letters to your Representatives no later than March 20. (Stay tuned for a second request urging Senators to do the same in the coming days.)

·       Share your letter with ALA so we can amplify your message. ALA will share these letters with the appropriate Congressional staff in Washington and use these letters in social media outreach to Members of Congress. Please upload a copy of your letter to ALA at:

https://airtable.com/shrfK0kpex6OtKAJ5

·       Urge allies and advocates in your state to contact their Representative and ask them to sign these two letters. The more calls from their home state and district, the more likely it is that a Member of Congress will sign the letters. Urge associates to participate by signing up for our engagement tool at https://cqrcengage.com/ala/?0

·       Over the next few weeks, expect staff from the Office for Library Advocacy (Megan Cusick, Joaquin Falcon and myself) to reach out to you and ask you to contact targeted Members of Congress who have not signed the letters. You can keep track of who has signed the letters here: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/fund-libraries

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Marci Merola

Marci Merola, Director

Office for Library Advocacy

American Library Association

50 E. Huron Street, Chicago, IL, 60611

312.280.2431; 800.545.2433, x2431

Visit www.ilovelibraries.org

If you no longer wish to receive information via this e-list, here are the instructions on how to unsubscribe:

UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS:
* Go to http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/alacro-l
* Log in on this page; first time users will need to get a password by following instructions
* Choose Unsubscribe from the left-hand column and follow instructions