Of possible interest! For those of you who don’t know her, Dr. Bilal and Dr. Zhu are well-respected and ethical researchers and I’m happy to provide a personal reference if anyone is concerned. This would be very helpful to their research. Thanks, in advance, for your consideration. If you have parents of students or young patrons who might be interested, please feel free to share this with them as well. The more participants, the better the research!

Dr. Cindy C. Welch

Clinical Associate Professor

School of Information Sciences

UT Experience Learning Fellow

The University of Tennessee

Phone: 865-974-7918

Email: [log in to unmask]

Pronouns: she, her, hers

facebook30  instagramupdated  twitter30  linkedinlogo30top-spacer
twolinelogospacer

From: "Bilal, Dania" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HELP NEEDED to Identify Parents for Search engines Survey

Dear Students,

I’m inviting you to identify parents/guardians of children/students aged 11-18 (middle to high school levels) to give permission to their children to take a survey about use of the internet and search engines. In previous research with children and teens, I found that the majority of children had problems understanding the structure of the results Google retrieved on their search queries. In this study, I’m using a survey to learn more about how middle school and teens seek information in web search engines and how they interpret retrieved results.

The survey in not limited to a specific state, city, or county. If you are a parent/guardian or if you know of one with children aged (11-18), Please let me know so that I email them an invitation describing the purposes of the survey in more detail along with the survey link. Alternatively, I can email you the invitation letter to pass on to the parent/guardian. Thank you very much for your help. Dr. Bilal.

Example of survey questions:

Q6: In a few words, tell us what the internet is in the box below. If you don't know, type "I don't know" in the box below.

Q7: In a few words, tell us what a web search engine is in the box below. If you don't know, type "I don't know" in the box below.

Q8: Do you use the internet to find information?

o Yes, by myself

o Yes, but with a parent's help

o Yes, but with a friend's help

o No

_________________________________

Dania Bilal, Professor

University of Tennessee

School of Information Sciences

1345 Circle Park, Suite 451

ASIS&T Board of Directors, Director-at-Large

Read:Readability and Word Complexity of SERPs Snippets and Web Pages

on Children’s Search Queries: Google vs. Bing. 2019. AJIM.

https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/AJIM-05-2018-0124

Read: Children’s Query Types and Reformulations in Google Search.

Informaiton Processing & Management 54(6), 1022-1141. 2018. Full text:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306457317308889

facebook30  instagramupdated  twitter30  linkedinlogo30top-spacer
cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]">