Dear Geographers (especially graduate and undergraduate students):

It is my great pleasure to invite you to Geography Department’s Lillian Stimson mentoring event, held annually in honor of one of our unit’s first female professors and a major disciplinary leader in the Southeast. The Stimson event hosts a distinguished female voice in the Academy to meet with our program, particularly our students, for the purposes of holding discussions about professional development, mentorship and networking, the role of diversity within the Academy, as well as to provide a supportive space to talk about a range of issues.

This year, we are fortunate to host Dr. Alana Dillette, a scholar in critical tourism and inclusion from San Diego State University  (see her link below).  Dr. Dillette’s visit is being sponsored by the UT Department of Retail, Hospitality, and Tourism Management and the generosity of one of our adjunct faculty, Dr. Stef Benjamin.  Dr. Dillette serves as a co-coordinator in the RESET (Race., Ethnicity, and Social Equity in Tourism) Initiative, which is based in our Department of Geography.  Those with an interest in tourism, race, gender, ethnicity as well as those wanting to hear the impressions and advice from an outstanding intellectual-professional are invited to come.

Dr. Dillette will meet with geographers in BGB 406 from 11am-12:30pm on March 29 (a Friday).  Pizzas will be ordered to help feed folks.  I encourage you to put this on your calendar and consider attending.  It is absolutely open to faculty and students as well as grad and undergrad.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alana_Dillette

Best wishes,

DA

Derek H. Alderman, PhD

Past President, American Association of Geographers

Professor, Department of Geography

Founder & Co-Coordinator, Tourism RESET

University of Tennessee

408 Burchfiel Geography Building