I am teaching my Ethnobiology course (EEB 461, CRN 26774) this spring semester which might of interest to some of your undergraduate students interested in ethnobotany, African ethnobotany, African religion/geography. I am petitioning for this course to qualify as a writing intensive and oral communication course. As an African professor (and francophone) myself, I will be bringing first hand experience of African religion and medicinal plant use and theory in the discussion and this might be of interest for some of your students.

I will greatly appreciate if you could help advertise the course to your undergraduate students who might be looking for ethnobotany course or some exposure to human ecology/geography or ecological anthropology. Attached please find the course flyer and let me know if you have any questions.

The course is for undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in learning more about ethnobiology in general and how to do research in this field. We will learn the major theories and how to use them as basis for developing research questions and hypothesis. See description below.

Thank you.

EEB 461-001 – Ethnobiology: Ethnobiology studies the dynamic relationships between human and their environment. Understanding of the drivers of human decision making and choice in plant and animal use is critical for designing globally sustainable management plans. What are the theories and hypotheses commonly tested in ethnobiology? What types of data are collected to test these hypotheses? How are these data analyzed to understand the link between plant and culture, the way in which human, by selecting certain organs on certain plant species in specific location, and at some specific time, have shaped their environment? How environmental feedback constrained the nature and extent of human-plant interactions? The ultimate goal of this class is to guide students in conducting hypothesis/theory-driven research in ethnobiology. We will review various theories and hypotheses in ethnobiology. Second, we will learn the different methods used in ethnobotanical research and finally we will identify the major types of data commonly collected in this field and how these data are analyzed. At the end of this course students will be able to develop and test simple hypotheses in ethnobiology and discuss how they fit into the broad ethnobiology literature. Although this course method is applied to ethnobiology, the course can be of interest to students interested in learning about how to use the scientific method in biology in general.

--
Orou G. Gaoue, PhD
Assistant Professor