e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-sally-horn/

How do we ensure that verdicts in criminal cases are based on accurate evidence?
Thursday, October 18, 2018
5:30 - 7:30, Min Kao Building Room 622

Dr. Dan Simon, Richard L. and Maria B. Crutcher Professor of Law and Psychology at the University of Southern California

Professor Dan Simon investigates this question by examining how evidence is produced during the investigative phases of a criminal inquiry.  In his presentation, he explores how the conditions under which police investigators collect evidence, the cognitive aspects of accurate witness testimony, and the veracity of confessions borne by means of interrogation interact to produce a mix of accurate and erroneous testimony.  Simon focuses on how errors are induced by the investigative process, as well as the means by which evidence drifts and errors increase over the course of the criminal process.  His investigations provide a method to understand where the criminal justice process falls short of meeting the goals of certitude sought in criminal verdicts.

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

<http://geography.utk.edu/about-us/faculty/dr-sally-horn/>