From: Galyon, Kathryn <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 6:08 PM
To: Kalafsky, Ronald V
Subject: Take Back the Night

Hello Dr. Kalafsky,

My name is Katie Galyon and I am the Programming and Activism Liaison of the Women's Coordinating Council. The Women's Coordinating Council is presenting our annual event Take Back the Night on Tuesday, October 23rd. Take Back the Night is intended to build solidarity and reclaim the night. Our mission is to create a safe space for victims and survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence, and we invite you to help us in doing so.

Resource Fair: 4:30 pm HSS lawn
Silent March: 5:30 pm HSS lawn
Speaker and Speak-out: 6:30 pm A+A 109
Vigil to follow at the Rock

This year’s speaker is Rebecca Nagle, organizer of The Monument Quilt, disruptor of rape culture, activist, “writer, organizer, and all around agitator for good. Cherokee Nation indigenous, two spirit woman.” She will be speaking on sexual assault and domestic violence as it relates to indigenous women and the larger scale of this violence. Her talk will be followed by our speak-out portion of the event.

This speak-out is a safe space for survivors to break the silence and share their stories with their community standing with them. We have no mandatory reporters. Your stories are safe.

We understand that this can be an emotionally-challenging and triggering space. We want to provide all the care we can to you. If you would like to share your story anonymously, feel free to use this link to have a ghost reader read it for you at our speak-out: https://goo.gl/forms/qmHcONgkG4fVUVJx1

We admire the bravery in everyone, regardless of how you may choose to share or not share. Please take care of yourself first, and if you are in crisis, please call the Sexual Assault Center of East Tennessee’s 24-hour hotline at 865-522-7273.

We would greatly appreciate it if you would pass this information along to the faculty and students of the Geography department, or anyone who may be interested in attending.

All the best,
Katie Galyon