FYI.

From: Francis Koti via AAG Knowledge Communities <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, October 8, 2018 9:06 PM
To: Li, Yingkui <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [Southeastern] : Call for World Geography Bowl Participants

On behalf of Dr. Dawn M. Drake Members of SEDAAG, As fall arrives (at least here in Missouri), preparations are underway for the regional... -posted to the "SouthEastern Division of the Association of American Geographers" community

Association of American Geographers

Southeastern

Call for World Geography Bowl Participants

Francis Koti

Oct 8, 2018 9:06 PM

Francis Koti

On behalf of Dr. Dawn M. Drake

Members of SEDAAG,

As fall arrives (at least here in Missouri), preparations are underway for the regional meeting in Johnson City.  This means that we are getting ready for another thrilling tournament of the World Geography Bowl.  As the Director of World Geography Bowl for SEDAAG, I would like to take a moment to invite you all to participate!

In case you haven't heard of it, the World Geography Bowl is a 'quiz bowl' style team competition where all the questions are geographically oriented.  Think Jeopardy! but with teams of six players instead of everyone competing alone, and the category is always "World Geography".  Each state in the division is invited to send a team to represent it in the competition.  If you are interested, there are several ways you can get involved.

Are you a student?  Then you can compete!  There are several state teams in the process of forming.  If you would like to play and are at a school in one of those states, email the appropriate state coordinator to get registered (see information below).  If your state does not have a coordinator, you can use the Google Form located at goo.gl/forms/HRiOJYLNYmfdntdL2.  The World Geography Bowl Committee will create teams from those registrations.  All Google Form registrations must be complete by November 12, 2018.  If you are a student who would like to participate, but not necessarily play, let me know.  That is where I began.  You too can become Director of World Geography Bowl one day!

Florida Team Coordinator: Stephanie Mundis ([log in to unmask])

Georgia Team Coordinator: Dr. Amy Potter ([log in to unmask])

North Carolina Team Coordinator: Dr. Chris McGinn ([log in to unmask])

Tennessee Team Coordinator: Dr. Andrew Joyner ([log in to unmask])

Virginia Team Coordinator: Dr. Joe Nicholas ([log in to unmask])

Are you a faculty member?  Then you have options!  I am still in need of people to write rounds of questions.  You can also volunteer to be a moderator, judge, or scorekeeper for the event on Sunday November 18th.  You can even compete as a member of the Faculty Dream Team, which will square off against Student All-Stars on Monday.  I am still in need of one volunteer for the Faculty Dream Team.  We are constantly seeking new people to fill all of these roles and assist the long-serving and hard-working committee that currently exists.  Please, let me know if you're interested in any of these positions and I will provide further information.

Just a note on a change in rules for the competition this year. After two years of attempting to remove the female player requirement in SEDAAG World Geography Bowl in an effort to encompass all genders, it is necessary that we bring back a requirement.  While we believe all teams were operating in good faith, we had too many incidences where teams were entirely male.  Starting at the 2018 SEDAAG meeting, teams must have at least one undergraduate, represent gender diversity, and have players from more than one school to participate with a full six member team.

And whether you are a student or faculty member, I invite you to come and cheer on the teams, especially at the Monday evening Dream Team vs. All Stars and Championship rounds.

Sincerely,

Dawn M. Drake, PhD

Associate Professor of Geography

Department of History and Geography

Missouri Western State University

4525 Downs Dr.

115E Popplewell Hall

Saint Joseph, MO 64507

Director of Teacher Education Certificate in History - Missouri Western State University
Historian, Gamma Theta Upsilon

Director, World Geography Bowl - Southeastern Division of AAG

Secretary/Treasurer, Rural Geography Specialty Group

Secretary/Treasurer, Stand-Alone Geographers Affinity Group

Francis Koti
University of North Alabama

  Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward

You are subscribed to "Southeastern" as [log in to unmask]. To change your subscriptions, go to My Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to Unsubscribe.