Hi Everyone,

We have an event in a few weeks that we're hoping will attract graduate students, post-docs & faculty from across campus -- especially folks who have perhaps not considered using mathematical modeling in their research projects. The e-blast is below and flyer attached. We would greatly appreciate any help in circulating widely.

Best wishes,

Catherine

*****************************

Catherine Crawley, Ph.D.
Communications Manager
National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis (NIMBioS)
University of Tennessee
1122 Volunteer Blvd, Ste. 106
+1 865 974 9350
+1 865 974 9461
http://www.nimbios.org
http://twitter.com/nimbios
To receive email notifications of blog updates, click here
To subscribe to our bi-monthly newsletter, click here

******************************

**A Tasting Menu of Mathematical Models**
What Can They Do and How They Might Help in Your Research

Date: 11:45 – 3 p.m., Tuesday, October 16, 2018 (includes lunch)*

Location: Hallam Auditorium (Room 206) at NIMBioS, in Claxton Building, 1122 Volunteer Blvd.

Curious about whether mathematical models might be useful in your research, but not sure where to begin? We invite graduate students, post-docs & faculty to join us for "A Tasting Menu of Models" at NIMBioS. The afternoon will include a presentation about what types of models there are and what they can do for you, a Q&A about how modeling might fit into your grant proposals, research, and teaching, and some collaborative break-out sessions to talk about areas of research where modeling doesn't yet play a big role, but maybe could.

Models have been useful in diverse fields, ranging from education to political science to public health to psychology to chemistry to engineering and even into the arts. Mathematical models can increase impact and generality of empirical research results from specific systems, help generate novel hypotheses, and help reduce empirical burdens for testing complex interactions. No matter what your field, join us for an afternoon to learn how they can help you!

*Attend the entire event or feel free to drop in as your schedule allows.

The event is free, but registration is required. Registration deadline: Friday, October 12

Hosted by the new Mathematical Modeling Consulting Center (MMCC) at NIMBioS

For more information and the link to register, visit http://www.nimbios.org/mathmod4u

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= To view the CAMPCOMM archives or Join/Leave the list: http://listserv.utk.edu/archives/campcomm.html