A student asked me a great question today, “Why do you send these jobs that we don’t meet the minimum requirements on”?

1 – I post and share these jobs with both the graduate and undergraduate students. Sometimes a job may be a good fit for a graduate student rather than an undergrad.

2 – I’m not expecting you to apply to all of these different jobs. Sometimes it’s more about the variety of different careers that are available that use geospatial technology along with the ability to plan for your future. For instance, if you find a job that sounds perfect but needs 4 years of experience or a master’s degree, then you know what you need to do to be eligible for that job in the future.

3 – Oftentimes prerequisites and years of experience are a wish list by an employer. They would prefer to find someone who already has all of those skills. However, that can be difficult sometimes. In those circumstances, an employer may be willing to ignore some of the minimum requirements, especially if you have some other great experiences (like internships, undergraduate research, etc). Also, it never hurts to build your professional network by attending professional and academic conferences and workshops so that when you apply, someone on the inside will recognize your name.

GIS Analyst – https://agency.governmentjobs.com/tennessee/default.cfm?action=viewJob&jobID=2220442

GIS Analyst - https://mtemc.applicantpool.com/jobs/275818-30080.html

Michael Camponovo

GIS Outreach Coordinator