Course offering of possible interest:

Humanitarianism - ANTH 425 (also available as 511/611 for graduate students).

Wed 9:05 AM - 12:05 PM

418 Strong

Dr. Raja Swamy

Course Description:

Humanitarianism today represents one of the most important facets of globalization. Mostly represented through the activities of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and a dense array of governmental and multilateral entities, humanitarianism plays a major role in addressing an increasing array of needs for populations especially in the so called 'developing' world. While humanitarian action is generally viewed as a universal good, scholars have increasingly focused attention on its problematic dimensions.

This seminar will provide a critical survey of theoretical and ethnographic studies of modern humanitarianism, with particular emphasis on the relationship between humanitarianism and cultural, economic and political orders associated with global capitalism. As we proceed to unpack the complex and multifaceted character of humanitarianism we will delve into its growing influence on governance, and interrogate the relationship between humanitarian organizations, principally NGOs, and states, multilateral organizations, private corporations, and beneficiary populations. We will explore through readings, lectures and in-class discussions, critical questions raised by anthropologists about democracy, development, human rights and social justice as these are profoundly affected by the ideologies and practices of humanitarianism.