Hi,
I concur that here at laurentian (Canada), our ACC considers ranavirus in
its different forms (we have used FV3, SSME and Azac forms) as BSL 1.
David

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Gray, Matt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Casey:
>

> I agree with your colleague that the FV3 ATCC isolate should be considered
> Biosafety Level I for the following reasons:
>

> (1) This isolate is native to North America, and
>
> (2) Ranaviruses are not zoonotic (which generally is reserved for BSL2
> organisms unless they’re non-native and represent a significant risk to endemic
> wildlife).
>

> I forwarded your email to the University of Tennessee Biosafety Officer
> (Brian Ranger); his response is below and he agrees with BSL-1
> classification.  He also mentions that it isn’t uncommon for different
> organizations to rank a pathogen at different biosafety levels based on
> perceived risk to humans or spillover to native wildlife populations.  For
> example, colleagues in Europe might classify the ATCC FV3 strain as BSL2 in
> countries where it is not known to occur.  At UT, Brian classifies all
> FV3-like ranaviruses as BSL1, but we follow BSL2 SOPs when working with
> Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans (Bsal), which is not known to occur in
> the USA. Brian thoughts on ATCC’s BSL2 classification are below, which may
> be a result of them exercising additional caution for liability purposes.
> Also, it is possible that ATCC could sell FV3 to consumers located outside
> of North America. Ranaviruses that infect amphibians (including FV3) are
> listed as notifiable by OIE. The biosecurity and isolation procedures
> you’re following are good and should be sufficient to ensure containment.
>

> There may be others on the LISTSERV that have additional insight.  If you
> have any questions regarding my thoughts, please do not hesitate to give me
> a call.
>

> All the Best, Matt

> Matthew J. Gray, Ph.D., Professor
>
> Co-chair, PARC National Disease Task Team
> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parcplace.org%2Fparcplace%2Fresources%2Fdisease-task-team.html&data=02%7C01%7Clouise.rollins-smith%40vanderbilt.edu%7Cd6e6399cfb3a4576a60f08d4f61a887d%7Cba5a7f39e3be4ab3b45067fa80faecad%7C0%7C0%7C636404041359526354&sdata=yrywKV%2B0PmTHlM%2BRvjg5ghy8VHXmiy750VJZHshCO3U%3D&reserved=0>
>
> Chair, Research Working Group of the North American Bsal Task Force
> <http://www.salamanderfungus.org/task-force/>
> Past Director, Global Ranavirus Consortium
> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ranavirus.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Clouise.rollins-smith%40vanderbilt.edu%7Cd6e6399cfb3a4576a60f08d4f61a887d%7Cba5a7f39e3be4ab3b45067fa80faecad%7C0%7C0%7C636404041359526354&sdata=%2Blt%2FSUfjpx3LreQ2mcatMNByVNmAeEXWb4e8KWxXVjk%3D&reserved=0>
>
> Associate Director, UTIA Center for Wildlife Health
> [...]

"It takes all the running you can do to keep in the same place."

Dr. David Lesbarrères, Associate Professor / Professeur agrégé
Acting Associate Vice-President Academic and Francophone Affairs /
Vice-recteur associé à l’enseignement et aux affaires francophones par
intérim
Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies / Doyen, Faculté des études supérieures

Genetic & Ecology of Amphibians Research Group (GEARG)
Department of Biology - Laurentian University

http://gearg.jimdo.com/

935 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury, Ontario P3E 2C6, Canada
<https://maps.google.com/?q=935+Ramsey+Lake+Road,+Sudbury,+Ontario+P3E+2C6,+Canada&entry=gmail&source=g>
phone: 705-675-1151 <7056751151> ext. 3232
Fax: 705-671-3840 <7056713840> @sudburyfrog