Dear Casey:

I agree with your colleague that the FV3 ATCC isolate should be considered Biosafety Level I for the following reasons:

(1) This isolate is native to North America, and

(2) Ranaviruses are not zoonotic (which generally is reserved for BSL2 organisms unless they’re non-native and represent a significant risk to endemic wildlife).

I forwarded your email to the University of Tennessee Biosafety Officer (Brian Ranger); his response is below and he agrees with BSL-1 classification.  He also mentions that it isn’t uncommon for different organizations to rank a pathogen at different biosafety levels based on perceived risk to humans or spillover to native wildlife populations.  For example, colleagues in Europe might classify the ATCC FV3 strain as BSL2 in countries where it is not known to occur.  At UT, Brian classifies all FV3-like ranaviruses as BSL1, but we follow BSL2 SOPs when working with Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans (Bsal), which is not known to occur in the USA. Brian thoughts on ATCC’s BSL2 classification are below, which may be a result of them exercising additional caution for liability purposes.  Also, it is possible that ATCC could sell FV3 to consumers located outside of North America. Ranaviruses that infect amphibians (including FV3) are listed as notifiable by OIE. The biosecurity and isolation procedures you’re following are good and should be sufficient to ensure containment.

There may be others on the LISTSERV that have additional insight.  If you have any questions regarding my thoughts, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

All the Best, Matt

Matthew J. Gray, Ph.D., Professor

Co-chair, PARC National Disease Task Team

Chair, Research Working Group of the North American Bsal Task Force
Past Director,
 Global Ranavirus Consortium
Associate Director, UTIA
Center for Wildlife Health

University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture (UTIA)
274 Ellington Plant Sciences Building

Knoxville, TN 37996-4563

865.974.2740 [ofc]                [log in to unmask]
865.974.4714 [fax]
https://ag.tennessee.edu/fwf/Pages/FacultyStaff.aspx

For more information about Forestry, Wildlife and Fisheries at UTK,
Please visit http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/ or call 865.974.7126