All,
I hope those of you who have registered for TN Library Legislative Day are getting excited! I know I am.

I have attached the following for you to access as you need—print them before leg day, or pull them up on your smartphone. (yay, technology!)

MAKE IT COUNT
Please make the most of the day by utilizing these tips and tricks.
  • Bring handouts and brochures from your library to give to your legislators. This helps personalize the visit and gives them much needed information about the libraries in their own district.
  • Each tote bag will include an invitation to a library tour. You will need to write your name, the library's name, and your contact information on the invitation before giving it to the legislator.
  • Take selfies with your legislators, upload them, and tag them in the photos. Yes. I'm serious about this. Politicians love this kind of publicity, PLUS all of your library's social media followers can see you at work advocating for their interests!
  • KNOW THE BILL NUMBERS if you're advocating for specific legislation. (the bill number is different for the house and senate—HB if it's in the house and SB if it's in the senate. You'll need to know them both. If you have any questions about this, please email me.)

Looking Forward to this event, and seeing a bunch of Library Advocates!

Sharon Kay Edwards, MSLS
Legislative Monitor, Tennessee Library Association
(931) 619-7863