Hi Rita  -
Some thoughts for you to consider as you are reviewing your change.

First, does your funding city/county have an evaluation form they use (require?) for employees?  If so, does it need to be used?

Here’s the link to our Evaluating the Library Director which outlines the process which we also used for evaluating all other staff members as well  http://tinyurl.com/StaffEvaluationProcess.
I discovered this process at the Miami University (Ohio) graduate business school, when they were conducting their summer library management institutes in the 1980’s  —>  it is a practical and appropriate collaborative approach to employee appraisal, eliminating the unknown and “gotcha” feeling employees often have about annual review.

Basis for the Annual Review:  the performance review should be based on:
1.  The staff member’s written job description, each item of which should be valid with realistic benchmarks.
The EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL FORM can be used to facilitate this process.
2.  A list of objectives with concrete and measurable activities for the year, jointly written and agreed upon by the director and staff person at the beginning of the year.  (Be careful about overdoing this process with staff members who are expected to perform regular, routine tasks.)

In addition to work chores, staff need to subscribe to and believe in the Library Bill of Rights, the Freedom to Read, and the Freedom to View statements (as we expect of our Trustees and Friends).  In addition staff should believe in and practice the ALA Statement of Professional Ethics.  Agreement with these ethical statements should be an item in each staff job description   http://tinyurl.com/LibraryRightsFreedomsEthics.

Another element to consider is this Code of Conduct for Staff & Supervisors which was developed by Tasha Saecker, when she was Director of the Menasha Public Library in Wisconsin
http://tametheweb.com/2009/09/08/a-code-of-conduct-for-staff-supervisors/.
Major caveat - most library employees are working at a job that is not a professional career; they handle those routine and clerical duties without which a library could not survive.  Don’t overload them with involved, complex discussions about setting goals and objectives —> setting a friendly, caring, listening climate in the work place should be a director’s main concern (without a lot of paperwork, forms, and meetings).  There’s no goal-setting involved with reshelving books, checking materials in and out, keeping the library clean and toilets flushable, etc.
At least hold a monthly staff meeting (always with nibbles) for all-staff conversation 1) to review what’s happening, 2) what’s coming up, 3) how are we doing, and 4) what could we do better.  This will set a tone for staff to feel involved, connected with each other, and supported by the library director.

You want to create a work place in which you catch staff doing something good and about which they will say, “I enjoy being there helping people.”

Following is the model Nordstrom Company Employee Handbook: