From: Jim Neal, ALA President [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:06 AM
To: Lanier, Heather <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Libraries need you to call your Rep today

 Warning: External Email - Do not click any links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content is safe.

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View as a web page.<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MTY/index.html>
[ALA Membership]

Colleagues,

If you've been following the messages from the ALA Washington Office, you already know time is short – we have until March 19, 2018 to get as many Representatives to sign this year's "Dear Appropriator" letters<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MTc/index.html> as possible.

As of this morning, we have gotten 84 signatures on the letter supporting funding for the Library Services and Technology Act and 49 on the Innovative Approaches to Literacy letter – that’s far lower than we want to see with the deadline so close. Last year we had over 140 signatures on both letters. We can do it again, but we need everyone's help!

If this is the first time you're hearing about the campaign, here's what you need to know: the White House budget proposal for FY 2019<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MTg/index.html> eliminated funding for the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the majority of federal library funding. This places over $210 million in federal library funding at risk, just through the elimination of programs like the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) program.

Since February, library advocates have sent thousands of emails to the House and Senate, effectively doubling the activity we saw during this time last year. That said, there is still more work to be done!

We'll need ALA members and library supporters across the country calling, emailing, and tweeting at their Representatives, asking them to sign on to both letters. The more signatures we have, the more likely it becomes that the appropriators will protect funding for LSTA and IAL.

As always, template emails and talking points are available on the ALA Action Center<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MTk/index.html>. We'll also continue to update District Dispatch<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MTc/index.html> with new information throughout the campaign. If you're not sure if your Representative has signed yet, you can check the Fund Libraries page<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjA/index.html>, where the Washington Office is maintaining a table to track signatures on both letters.

I hope we can count on you to help us get the message out, and to make a call to your Representative as well.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to the staff <mailto:[log in to unmask]> at the Washington Office. They are available to answer your questions throughout the campaign.

Thank you,

[James Neal]

Jim Neal
ALA President

<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjE/index.html>[Facebook]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjE/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjE/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjI/index.html>[LinkedIn]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjI/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjI/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjM/index.html>[Twitter]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjM/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjM/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjQ/index.html>[AddThis]<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjQ/index.html><http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT03NDQ2NjU1JnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MTQxNTEmbGk9NTI3MjE1MjQ/index.html>

If you no longer wish to receive ALA Membership emails, please click here<http://ala.informz.net/ala/optout.asp?uid=1007414151&mi=7446655&fid=2402>.