Geographers,

This information was shared on the Ecology and Evolutionary Biology listserv.  I believe it is not made up, even though it sounds odd enough to be made up.  Folks in the biological sciences thought this should be sent to female students, but I don't know that there's a reason to only inform women or grad students about potentially dangerous creeps in UT parking lots.  Seems like we all should know about this, so I will share with everyone.  I believe this note was written by a graduate student in the biological sciences.  If it turns out I am passing along made up stuff, I apologize.

Happy Good Friday and Passover and Easter, and I hope you don't run into any creeps like this student did.

I wanted to let you all know about something that happened this morning so everyone can remain safe. A fellow female graduate student was parked in the 11th street garage and noticed something odd about the man in the car parked in front of her, so she didn't get out and instead locked the doors. The man continued to get in and out of his car and pace around until he finally walked to her car and held a hand written note up to her driver side window. The note was comprised of a very crude message basically trying to entice her out of her car into his for sex. She shook her head no, but the man was persistent and eventually walked back to his car, but remained in the passenger seat, watching her. the man returned to his car, but stayed in the passenger seat and continued to stare at her. Campus police were notified and she called another person to come out to the deck as well. When the other people got there, the man was still in the car, staring and remained there until campus police arrived. The man was questioned and given a written warning for criminal trespassing because he did not have a student parking pass.

This whole note is to say please be careful and remain aware of your surroundings. This happened at 9 AM this morning, even in a busy parking deck. The man was in a new silver dodge durango. This seemed like a situation which could have ended very differently if the student had gotten out of her car. I just wanted to let you all know and say that if you ever feel concerned about a situation, trust your intuition and call campus police. Please be safe.

Sincerely,

Sally

Sally P. Horn, Professor
Department of Geography