Dear campus communicators—

I wanted to share with you all an article about Richard Spencer’s appearance at Michigan State University yesterday. Matthew Heimbach and members of the Traditionalist Worker Party attended as security for Spencer. There is a photo gallery in this story that show a number of folks that were here last month engaged in fights with protestors.

Y’all, the next time you see one of our UTPD officers, I encourage you to thank them for the thoughtfulness of their planning for last month’s event and their willingness to put themselves in harm’s way for our campus community. They all worked long days and nights during the week running up to the Heimbach event. There were no arrests and no injuries here, and I think we owe so much of the relative calmness to their planning.

Violent clashes accompany Spencer speech at MSU
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/05/richard-spencer-speech-michigan-state-university/111114352/

Karen Dunlap

Media and Internal Relations

Office of Communications and Marketing